Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cannot play a .mid file

cannot play a .mid file

nettie

Hi all: I am having problems trying to play a file I received via e-mail.
I could open all the pictures forwarded but not this file. This is the name
of the file ---- prettywm1011.mid (24.6KB) and I received this message:-

Windows Media Player error
Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.

Windows Media Player does not support this file type
Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000

I have Windows 98, and the latest Real Player for Windows 98 (7 I believe).

I did go to Help but it was too deep for me to understand.

Is there something I can do or is my OS too old? I'm not very savvy about
Real Player. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Unk

Try the old Windows Media players:
C:\WINDOWS\mplayer.exe
or
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"

Unk

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:32 -0400, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all: I am having problems trying to play a file I received via e-mail.
>I could open all the pictures forwarded but not this file. This is the name
>of the file ---- prettywm1011.mid (24.6KB) and I received this message:-
>
>Windows Media Player error
>Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.
>
>Windows Media Player does not support this file type
>Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000
>
>I have Windows 98, and the latest Real Player for Windows 98 (7 I believe).
>
>I did go to Help but it was too deep for me to understand.
>
>Is there something I can do or is my OS too old? I'm not very savvy about
>Real Player. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

°Mike°

Hold down the SHIFT key and right click on the file you received.
Choose 'Open with...', and scroll down to MPlayer. Select it,
and check the box 'Always use this program....'.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:32 -0400, in
<nf4Na.46010$(E-Mail Removed)>
nettie scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Shepİ

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:32 -0400, In this world we created "nettie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Hi all: I am having problems trying to play a file I received via e-mail.
>I could open all the pictures forwarded but not this file. This is the name
>of the file ---- prettywm1011.mid (24.6KB) and I received this message:-
>
>Windows Media Player error
>Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.
>
>Windows Media Player does not support this file type
>Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000
>
>I have Windows 98, and the latest Real Player for Windows 98 (7 I believe).
>
>I did go to Help but it was too deep for me to understand.
>
>Is there something I can do or is my OS too old? I'm not very savvy about
>Real Player. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

The file may be damaged or you may need tov remove and let windows
re-install your sound card drivers.Try here,

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/mmsystem.html
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

nettie

Thank you Unk, I tried it but am still getting the same message. I have
some .mid in my "library" and they play ok, so I have no idea why it won't
play.

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try the old Windows Media players:
> C:\WINDOWS\mplayer.exe
> or
> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"
>
> Unk
>
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:32 -0400, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi all: I am having problems trying to play a file I received via

e-mail.
> >I could open all the pictures forwarded but not this file. This is the

name
> >of the file ---- prettywm1011.mid (24.6KB) and I received this message:-
> >
> >Windows Media Player error
> >Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.
> >
> >Windows Media Player does not support this file type
> >Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000
> >
> >I have Windows 98, and the latest Real Player for Windows 98 (7 I

believe).

> >I did go to Help but it was too deep for me to understand.
> >
> >Is there something I can do or is my OS too old? I'm not very savvy

about
> >Real Player. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

nettie

Thanks Mike, when I did what you said, I did not get "Open with" but Open.
I forwarded the file to my niece and she has Windows Millennium and she got
the same message. I will have to wait to hear from the sender to find out
how she played it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hold down the SHIFT key and right click on the file you received.
> Choose 'Open with...', and scroll down to MPlayer. Select it,
> and check the box 'Always use this program....'.
>

> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:32 -0400, in
> <nf4Na.46010$(E-Mail Removed)>
> nettie scrawled:
>
> >Hi all: I am having problems trying to play a file I received via

e-mail.
> >I could open all the pictures forwarded but not this file. This is the

name
> >of the file ---- prettywm1011.mid (24.6KB) and I received this message:-
> >
> >Windows Media Player error
> >Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.
> >
> >Windows Media Player does not support this file type
> >Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000
> >
> >I have Windows 98, and the latest Real Player for Windows 98 (7 I

believe).

> >I did go to Help but it was too deep for me to understand.
> >
> >Is there something I can do or is my OS too old? I'm not very savvy

about
> >Real Player. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
> >

> --
> STGP, OGPE24HSHD

°Mike°

It sounds like it could be corrupt midi file. If the original
sender has no trouble playing it, ask her/him to re-send it.
You could also try updating DirectX.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:28:09 -0400, in
<mGqNa.49218$(E-Mail Removed)>