Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 98se start up error message

Windows 98se start up error message

ECLiPSE 2002

When windows started a popup window appeared that said something
like..." Command in autoexec.bat requires MD-DOS compatibilty mode.
This reduces windows overall perfomance -do you want to remove the
program?"

I clicked on more information rather than yes and a performance window
appeared showing two different problem entries.

1. Command in autoexec.bat requires MS-DDOS compatibilty mode. It
stated that windos was unable to identify the specific memory resident
program that was loaded in your autoexec.bat file. If you no longer
need this program remove it from your autoexec.bat file. Windows will
not perform optimally while this program is loaded.
I went to auto.exex.bat and couldn't see any program that I
recognized.

Any suggestions on this problem.

2. The other entry states...."compatibility mode paging reduces
overall system performance. Windows was unable to identify a real mode
driver or memory resident program loaded in youjr Config.sys or
Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that list the name of
the driver or program causing the problem.
Because windows could not identify the program or driver, it has
switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run.
this decreases overall performance. To improve performance remove the
program or driver causing the problem.

I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to understanding Windows
problems.

Could someone advise me how I can best eliminate this performance
reducing problem. I don't know what program or driver is at fault and
how to go about identifying it.

I rebooted the PC in hopes of receiving the error message again to
again see what the options were but it did not reappear?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Frank

Gary S. Terhune

1. Rename your C:\Autoexec.bat and C:\Config.sys files with different extensions
(if they exist.) You may need to go into Folder Options, View tab, and enable
"Show All Files", in order to see them.

2. Use NotePad to open the renamed files and then post the contents here.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

> When windows started a popup window appeared that said something
> like..." Command in autoexec.bat requires MD-DOS compatibilty mode.
> This reduces windows overall perfomance -do you want to remove the
> program?"
>
> I clicked on more information rather than yes and a performance window
> appeared showing two different problem entries.
>
> 1. Command in autoexec.bat requires MS-DDOS compatibilty mode. It
> stated that windos was unable to identify the specific memory resident
> program that was loaded in your autoexec.bat file. If you no longer
> need this program remove it from your autoexec.bat file. Windows will
> not perform optimally while this program is loaded.
> I went to auto.exex.bat and couldn't see any program that I
> recognized.
>
> Any suggestions on this problem.
>
> 2. The other entry states...."compatibility mode paging reduces
> overall system performance. Windows was unable to identify a real mode
> driver or memory resident program loaded in youjr Config.sys or
> Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that list the name of
> the driver or program causing the problem.
> Because windows could not identify the program or driver, it has
> switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run.
> this decreases overall performance. To improve performance remove the
> program or driver causing the problem.
>
> I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to understanding Windows
> problems.
>
> Could someone advise me how I can best eliminate this performance
> reducing problem. I don't know what program or driver is at fault and
> how to go about identifying it.
>
> I rebooted the PC in hopes of receiving the error message again to
> again see what the options were but it did not reappear?
>
> Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Frank

°Mike°

If you do not use Real Mode (DOS) drivers, then config.sys
and autoexec.bat are not needed, and can be safely renamed.
If you are unsure whether you need Real Mode drivers, post
the contents of the two files here, and somebody will be
able to help more.

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:37:53 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed) m>
ECLiPSE 2002 scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Prof

You can view your autoexec.bat and config.sys by opening notepad and
selecting all files instead of txt then go to autoexec.bat in C: and you
might be able to identify what they are referring to and some expert in this
group might be able to advise whether to delete it or not.
"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

> When windows started a popup window appeared that said something
> like..." Command in autoexec.bat requires MD-DOS compatibilty mode.
> This reduces windows overall perfomance -do you want to remove the
> program?"
>
> I clicked on more information rather than yes and a performance window
> appeared showing two different problem entries.
>
> 1. Command in autoexec.bat requires MS-DDOS compatibilty mode. It
> stated that windos was unable to identify the specific memory resident
> program that was loaded in your autoexec.bat file. If you no longer
> need this program remove it from your autoexec.bat file. Windows will
> not perform optimally while this program is loaded.
> I went to auto.exex.bat and couldn't see any program that I
> recognized.
>
> Any suggestions on this problem.
>
> 2. The other entry states...."compatibility mode paging reduces
> overall system performance. Windows was unable to identify a real mode
> driver or memory resident program loaded in youjr Config.sys or
> Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that list the name of
> the driver or program causing the problem.
> Because windows could not identify the program or driver, it has
> switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run.
> this decreases overall performance. To improve performance remove the
> program or driver causing the problem.
>
> I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to understanding Windows
> problems.
>
> Could someone advise me how I can best eliminate this performance
> reducing problem. I don't know what program or driver is at fault and
> how to go about identifying it.
>
> I rebooted the PC in hopes of receiving the error message again to
> again see what the options were but it did not reappear?
>
> Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Frank

ECLiPSE 2002

many thanks to the responders.:

here is the renamed ( from C:\Autoexec.tsh.tsh) now called
C:\Autoexec.new file:

@echo off
REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette, see the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT.
path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
@REM SetPower.exe will initialize the USB Keyboard.
@c:\windows\system\setpower.exe
REM .c.
call c:\dosboot\drivers.bat
rem - By Windows Setup - mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M
deltree /y c:\windows\temp
md c:\windows\temp

Here is the renamed (from C:\Config.tsh) now called C:\Config.new
file:

REM To make a DOS boot diskette, see the file c:\DosBoot\DosBoot.txt.

device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmemff
dos=high,umb
buffers=40

rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
device=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.sys /D:IDECD000

Its all Greek to me - hope this gives someone a clue to what is
causing my problem described below.

Frank
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 06:57:50 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1. Rename your C:\Autoexec.bat and C:\Config.sys files with different extensions
>(if they exist.) You may need to go into Folder Options, View tab, and enable
>"Show All Files", in order to see them.
>
>2. Use NotePad to open the renamed files and then post the contents here.

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:37:53 GMT, ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When windows started a popup window appeared that said something
>like..." Command in autoexec.bat requires MD-DOS compatibilty mode.
>This reduces windows overall perfomance -do you want to remove the
>program?"
>
>I clicked on more information rather than yes and a performance window
>appeared showing two different problem entries.
>
>1. Command in autoexec.bat requires MS-DDOS compatibilty mode. It
>stated that windos was unable to identify the specific memory resident
>program that was loaded in your autoexec.bat file. If you no longer
>need this program remove it from your autoexec.bat file. Windows will
>not perform optimally while this program is loaded.
>I went to auto.exex.bat and couldn't see any program that I
>recognized.
>
>Any suggestions on this problem.
>
>2. The other entry states...."compatibility mode paging reduces
>overall system performance. Windows was unable to identify a real mode
>driver or memory resident program loaded in youjr Config.sys or
>Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that list the name of
>the driver or program causing the problem.
>Because windows could not identify the program or driver, it has
>switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run.
>this decreases overall performance. To improve performance remove the
>program or driver causing the problem.
>
>I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to understanding Windows
>problems.
>
>Could someone advise me how I can best eliminate this performance
>reducing problem. I don't know what program or driver is at fault and
>how to go about identifying it.
>
>I rebooted the PC in hopes of receiving the error message again to
>again see what the options were but it did not reappear?
>
>Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
>
>Frank

Gary S. Terhune

"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

> many thanks to the responders.:
>
> here is the renamed ( from C:\Autoexec.tsh.tsh) now called
> C:\Autoexec.new file:
>
> @echo off

Hides the execution of the file from the screen---doesnt' show.

> REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette, see the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT.

REM or ; (semi-colon) at the beginning of the line cause it to be ignored. The
above is just an explanatory note.

> path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

This is the Default Path statement, and it's not needed *provided* the above is
all the Path statement(s) found here. A Path statement adds a Path to the list
of places to look for files that are called for--so that the full Path to the
file doesn't need to be reinterated for evey call. Only one problem: This looks
to *me* like bad syntax. Not sure it would work if it was really needed.

Not sure about the @ before the REM, but this, too, is an explanatory note

> @c:\windows\system\setpower.exe

See above note. See notes below.

> REM .c.

Unless that's actually c: (colon), I guess that's good that it's REMed out--make
no sense, anyway and might prompt an error.

> call c:\dosboot\drivers.bat

This is the big No-No. See notes below.

> rem - By Windows Setup - mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M

Correctly REMed. See notes below.

> deltree /y c:\windows\temp
> md c:\windows\temp

These two are a very misguided attempt to clear the TEMP folder every time the
machine starts up. Problem is, when you do it here, in Autoexxec.bat, it can
screw up a lot of things, like installations that require restarting to finish
the job. Those finishing jobs are likely to include the use of files that are
currently located in TEMP, and occur *after* this file is loaded--or would, if
some dim-wit hadn't just deleted them. Me, I do *not* understand this fetish for
deleting stuff right and left. Ther's a time and place for everything.

> Here is the renamed (from C:\Config.tsh) now called C:\Config.new
> file:
>
> REM To make a DOS boot diskette, see the file c:\DosBoot\DosBoot.txt.
>
> device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmemff
> dos=high,umb
> buffers=40
>
> rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
> device=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.sys /D:IDECD000

So why is it being loaded?

Listen, every single thing that was being loaded was only useful in a Pure DOS
environment--Real Mode drivers to make hardware function for things like Games,
etc. But when you load them before starting Windows, you may force Windows into
Real-Mode Compatibility--very slow and crappy. Except that DELTREE TEMP thing,
but that's just as stupid. Much of this stuff is left over from Win95 days or
earlier, or belongs in a separate DOSBOOT file that gets used *only* during a
Reboot to MS DOS Mode procedure--which, I suppose, is where one might think this
might have come from, if it weren't for other indicators that this is the
original Autoexec.bat from a copy of Windows 95 or 3.11 that got upgraded to
Windows 98.

That DELTREE TEMP thing, though--that was the result of listening to idiots.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

°Mike°

There is nothing in config.sys or autoexec.bat - your config.tsh
and autoexec.tsh are the originals that have been renamed by
Windows, and substituted by place holders - that is needed by
Windows, and as Gary says, it looks like somebody has been
playing around in there. They are both safe to leave renamed,
or even deleted if you so wish.

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:09:45 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed) m>
ECLiPSE 2002 scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Gary S. Terhune

Slight correction--the "replacement" files are not needed. They, too, should be
deleted (the ones currently called autoexec.bat and config.sys, and which only
point to the TSH files.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> >>driver or memory resident program loaded in youjr Config.sys or
> >>Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that list the name of
> >>the driver or program causing the problem.
> >>Because windows could not identify the program or driver, it has
> >>switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run.
> >>this decreases overall performance. To improve performance remove the
> >>program or driver causing the problem.
> >>
> >>I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to understanding Windows
> >>problems.
> >>
> >>Could someone advise me how I can best eliminate this performance
> >>reducing problem. I don't know what program or driver is at fault and
> >>how to go about identifying it.
> >>
> >>I rebooted the PC in hopes of receiving the error message again to
> >>again see what the options were but it did not reappear?
> >>
> >>Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

°Mike°

That's what I said. Both can be deleted.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:15:21 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Gary S. Terhune scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Gary S. Terhune

So you did. Wasn't clear to me the first time I read it, <s>. "Correction"
retracted.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x