Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 98se start up error message

Windows 98se start up error message

Shepİ

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:55:17 GMT, In this world we created ECLiPSE
2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Gary,
>Thanks for responding again.
>

>Gary asked .... "Returning to Windows from MS-DOS".... What's that?
>Does this error only appear after you use "Restart in MS-DOS mode", or
>run a program that does same?
>
>The first time this happened earlier last week it was following a
>lockup that required a power off shutdown. When I rebooted windows I
>got the performance warning. This time I was doing monthly maintenance
>tasks - one of which must be run in DOS (Scan Reg). I got the
>performance warning this time after I returned to windows from DOS by
>typing win in the prompt.
>
>After I followed your advice on moving the unneeded autoexec and
>config files and redoing the autoexec.bat and config.sys, I did not
>get the performance warning when starting windows from a fresh start.
>Only this am after going to DOS and returning to windows.
>Perhaps I did not exit DOS properly - just typed win in at prompt.
>Did not get the warning when I restarted windows just now either.
>
>I will await following your second message instructions until after
>you have read and responded to this message.
>
>Frank

Check for a file Dosstart.bat
Edit that as well.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Gary S. Terhune

No, it is not necessary to edit DOSSTART.BAT (though it may yet be wise to
review it.)

Just to learn how to use it correctly.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

*Recommended Help Sites*
http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
http://www.aumha.org

How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=newswhelp

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:55:17 GMT, In this world we created ECLiPSE
> 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> Check for a file Dosstart.bat
> Edit that as well.
> HTH

Shepİ

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:40:39 -0700, In this world we created "Gary S.
Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>No, it is not necessary to edit DOSSTART.BAT (though it may yet be wise to
>review it.)
>
>Just to learn how to use it correctly.

But surely if it exists and there is incorrect data in there it will
have to be,"Edited"

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Gary S. Terhune

Who says there is incorrect data in there? (May be, but who knows?) The error is
occurring due to incorrect procedure--to wit, leaving "Exit to MS DOS Mode" by
running WIN.COM. Were the user to correctly use the EXIT command to return to
Windows, then the error(s) would not occur, because the EXIT procedure unloads
all the DOSSTART.BAT stuff and then reloads Windows afresh, using the proper
configurations..

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

*Recommended Help Sites*
http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
http://www.aumha.org

How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=newswhelp

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:40:39 -0700, In this world we created "Gary S.
> Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >No, it is not necessary to edit DOSSTART.BAT (though it may yet be wise to
> >review it.)
> >
> >Just to learn how to use it correctly.

> But surely if it exists and there is incorrect data in there it will
> have to be,"Edited"
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> Free songs download,
> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

Bill in Co

PCR wrote:
> I'm no big fan of "WIN", myself....

Hmmm. Exactly what are you "a big fan of" (FWIW)?

PCR

EXIT & Ctrl-Alt-Del.

--
Thanks & Good Luck,
Naturally, you will not sue,
"Bill in Co" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| PCR wrote:
| > I'm no big fan of "WIN", myself....
|
| Hmmm. Exactly what are you "a big fan of" (FWIW)?

Gary S. Terhune

"PCR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm no big fan of "WIN", myself. The "WIN" command is still possibly
> useful at a Direct Boot to DOS, though it may be cleaner to Ctrl-Alt-Del
> to Windows from there.

Depending entirely on what else you did while there, it could work fine, it
could cause problems. Yes, it still has its uses in strange situations, but over
the years, I wish it came with a warning message built in, somehow.

ECLiPSE 2002

Thanks for the information, PCR.

Frank

PCR

You are welcome.

--
Thanks & Good Luck,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
(E-Mail Removed)
"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

| Thanks for the information, PCR.
|
| Frank
....snip