Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: XP problem

Re: XP problem

Unk

Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C
Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under "Files and
Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"

Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click "Apply", "OK"
Now go here to fix specific search problems:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm

Unk

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:45:45 +1000, "Jagdeep Cruellruby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP Home. Within the last few weeks I've noticed a problem with the
>"Search" option launched from the Start menu. That is, when I want
>to look for a file on my computer, normally I would go to the start
>menu button at the bottom of my screen, choose "search" from the
>menu, then choose "For files and folders..." off that menu. Then it
>would take me to a screen where I could choose further options.
>
>Now when I go to "Search" and choose "For files and folders...", it
>takes me to a blank screen, like a blank web page... I have no idea
>what's caused this to happen or how to fix it. Can anyone help?
>
>JC

Jagdeep Cruellruby

Thx for this. So far it doesn't look like this is going to be as
simple to fix as I'd hoped, but this looks to be the right track.
Thx for the help.

JC, appreciative

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C
> Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under

"Files and
> Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"
>
> Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and

folders"
> Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
> check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click

"Apply", "OK"
> Now go here to fix specific search problems:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm
>
> Unk
>
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:45:45 +1000, "Jagdeep Cruellruby"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >XP Home. Within the last few weeks I've noticed a problem with

the
> >"Search" option launched from the Start menu. That is, when I

want
> >to look for a file on my computer, normally I would go to the

start
> >menu button at the bottom of my screen, choose "search" from the
> >menu, then choose "For files and folders..." off that menu. Then

it
> >would take me to a screen where I could choose further options.
> >
> >Now when I go to "Search" and choose "For files and folders...",

it
> >takes me to a blank screen, like a blank web page... I have no

idea
> >what's caused this to happen or how to fix it. Can anyone help?
> >
> >JC

Unk

You're welcome.

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:37:41 +1000, "Jagdeep Cruellruby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thx for this. So far it doesn't look like this is going to be as
>simple to fix as I'd hoped, but this looks to be the right track.
>Thx for the help.
>
>JC, appreciative
>
>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C
>> Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under

>"Files and
>> Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"
>>
>> Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and

>folders"
>> Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
>> check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click

>"Apply", "OK"
>> Now go here to fix specific search problems:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm
>>
>> Unk
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:45:45 +1000, "Jagdeep Cruellruby"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >XP Home. Within the last few weeks I've noticed a problem with

>the
>> >"Search" option launched from the Start menu. That is, when I

>want
>> >to look for a file on my computer, normally I would go to the

>start
>> >menu button at the bottom of my screen, choose "search" from the
>> >menu, then choose "For files and folders..." off that menu. Then

>it
>> >would take me to a screen where I could choose further options.
>> >
>> >Now when I go to "Search" and choose "For files and folders...",

>it
>> >takes me to a blank screen, like a blank web page... I have no

>idea
>> >what's caused this to happen or how to fix it. Can anyone help?
>> >
>> >JC

Jagdeep Cruellruby

Back again. I'm in over my head and can't seem to fix this prob.
First I should point out that many of the search companion problems
are defined by particular error msgs, but I don't get any error
msgs. I cannot use Search Companion for *anything* (not for a www
search nor for an internal computer search), but I don't get any
error msgs.

I have tried the MS fixes links on the page you (Unk) directed me
to, but none of them work. The MS fixes won't download cause they
say I already have the latest XP svc pack. I tried the 'work around'
to reinstall my orig files but for some reason when I'm prompted to
insert my orig XP disk, it continues to say it can't find files, and
asks me for my svc pack disk (which I don't have). I try to point it
to the files on the orig disk, but it says it can't find the ones it
needs (I've looked for them on the disk myself and can't see them).

I've had XP for nearly a year and never had any problems with this
until the past couple of months. Also, I have Yahoo task bar on top
beneathe my regular tool bar, and do quick internet searches that
way. Have had it for months too, no problem. When I started having
problems with MS Search Companion, I uninstalled Yahoo, to see if
that would help. Since it didn't fix my problem, I re-installed the
Yahoo search bar - but immed it stopped functioning as a quick
internet search tool too. So some file they both use is corrupt. But
how do I fix it?

Would problems get any worse if I simply re-installed XP? Is that a
good idea?

JC