Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE Address Bar Question

IE Address Bar Question

°Mike°

Another thing you could try is to search you hard drive for
files *containing* text. Use everyhole or byjesus for the
text search.

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:08:21 GMT, in
<FLgNa.35619$(E-Mail Removed)>
bb3 scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Nozza

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:08:21 GMT, "bb3" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I had SpyBot but hadn't run it with usage tracks. That turned up quite a
>bit, but not the link I was looking for. I also dl'd & ran MRU Blaster as
>well as Spyware Blaster and neither of those worked. I guess I'll just have
>to let it sit there. Thanks for all your help.

I've just had a look at *my* history - and I see links even after
clearing the history. Well, not actually see them, they appear *after*
I search the blank history!

I view the history pane, click on search - everything is still blank,
but if I search for any letter, say by putting the letter

in the search box, then I see a whole load of sites. My personal home
page even appears, and there's certainly no fancy code there.

If I right click on one of the links and choose properties, the
properties for the link appear, and they all say

Last visited None
Times visited 0

Is this the sort of behaviour you are seeing?

Nozza
--
Remove the obvious spam trap when replying by email

wrote:

>I had SpyBot but hadn't run it with usage tracks. That turned up quite a
>bit, but not the link I was looking for. I also dl'd & ran MRU Blaster as
>well as Spyware Blaster and neither of those worked. I guess I'll just have
>to let it sit there. Thanks for all your help.

I ran tracks eraser pro - a free download and runs for 30 days before
you register.

http://www.acesoft.net/download.htm

Cleared it up for me. Seems that the data is stored in .dat files.

Good luck

Nozza
--
Remove the obvious spam trap when replying by email

trout

bb3 wrote:

> "Nozza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:08:21 GMT, "bb3" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I had SpyBot but hadn't run it with usage tracks. That turned up
>>> quite a bit, but not the link I was looking for. I also dl'd & ran
>>> MRU Blaster as well as Spyware Blaster and neither of those worked.
>>> I guess I'll just have to let it sit there. Thanks for all your
>>> help.

>> I've just had a look at *my* history - and I see links even after
>> clearing the history. Well, not actually see them, they appear
>> *after*
>> I search the blank history!
>>
>> I view the history pane, click on search - everything is still blank,
>> but if I search for any letter, say by putting the letter

>> in the search box, then I see a whole load of sites. My personal home
>> page even appears, and there's certainly no fancy code there.
>>
>> If I right click on one of the links and choose properties, the
>> properties for the link appear, and they all say
>>
>> Last visited None
>> Times visited 0
>>
>> Is this the sort of behaviour you are seeing?
>>
>> Nozza
>> --
>> Remove the obvious spam trap when replying by email

> That sounds like what I'm seeing. I'll try the tracks eraser that you
> mentioned in your second post. Thanks.

You could also try the *freeware* program:
Spider: http://tinyurl.com/eoyl
--
"I have no idea why I didn't think of this earlier."

bb3

news:be7atl$20rbv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bb3 wrote:
>
> > "Nozza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I've just had a look at *my* history - and I see links even after
> >> clearing the history. Well, not actually see them, they appear
> >> *after*
> >> I search the blank history!
> >>
> >> I view the history pane, click on search - everything is still blank,
> >> but if I search for any letter, say by putting the letter

> >> in the search box, then I see a whole load of sites. My personal home
> >> page even appears, and there's certainly no fancy code there.
> >>
> >> If I right click on one of the links and choose properties, the
> >> properties for the link appear, and they all say
> >>
> >> Last visited None
> >> Times visited 0
> >>
> >> Is this the sort of behaviour you are seeing?
> >>
> >> Nozza
> >> --
> >> Remove the obvious spam trap when replying by email

> > That sounds like what I'm seeing. I'll try the tracks eraser that you
> > mentioned in your second post. Thanks.

> You could also try the *freeware* program:
> Spider: http://tinyurl.com/eoyl
> --
> "I have no idea why I didn't think of this earlier."

Partial success! Spider found what I was looking for in an index.dat file.
The only problem is that when I use the Cleanup feature and re-boot, the
files apparently re-create themselves. Is there any way to stop this in ME?
Would booting into DOS and deleting the files from there make any
difference?

bb3

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:00:32 GMT, in
> <Q9eOa.43698$(E-Mail Removed)>
> bb3 scrawled:
>

> >"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:be7atl$20rbv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <snip>
>
> >> You could also try the *freeware* program:
> >> Spider: http://tinyurl.com/eoyl
> >> --
> >> "I have no idea why I didn't think of this earlier."
> >>

> >Partial success! Spider found what I was looking for in an
> >index.dat file.

> That's a red herring. The information may still be in the
> index.dat file, but if the temporary internet files, cookies,
> history etc. have been cleared, there is no way that the
> remnants of any data in the index.dat file will cause a url
> to autocomplete. I think something more is going on here
> than meets the eye - maybe somebody keeps visiting, or trying
> to visit that link.

I found out how it got on here. My brother used it one day while I was
playing golf instead of working. He fessed up to visiting the site. Other
than that, I'm the only one who uses it as it's a laptop and goes home each
night with me.

> >The only problem is that when I use the Cleanup feature and
> >re-boot, the files apparently re-create themselves.

> That's correct.

Any reason that they would be in an IE5 directory when I'm using IE6?

<snip>

> >Would booting into DOS and deleting the files from there
> >make any difference?

> No -- that's what Spider does.

I thought that in ME, you had to use a boot disk to enter the "true" DOS.
The dos window that is accessible through "Start" is only a shell IIRC.
When Spider Bite looks for the files I get the following...
C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHist0120030707200 30708\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
*** Failed on C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
*** Failed on C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
*** Erased
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHist0120030707200 30708\index.dat
*** Failed on C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
which tells me that it's having problems, even though Spider is able to read
them.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

www.bigskyrottrescue.org

°Mike°

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:45:55 GMT, in
<T5kOa.44055$(E-Mail Removed)>
bb3 scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:00:32 GMT, in
>> <Q9eOa.43698$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> bb3 scrawled:
>>

>> >"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:be7atl$20rbv$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <snip>

>> >Partial success! Spider found what I was looking for in an
>> >index.dat file.

>> That's a red herring. The information may still be in the
>> index.dat file, but if the temporary internet files, cookies,
>> history etc. have been cleared, there is no way that the
>> remnants of any data in the index.dat file will cause a url
>> to autocomplete. I think something more is going on here
>> than meets the eye - maybe somebody keeps visiting, or trying
>> to visit that link.

>I found out how it got on here. My brother used it one day while
>I was playing golf instead of working. He fessed up to visiting
>the site. Other than that, I'm the only one who uses it as it's
>a laptop and goes home each night with me.

Just as I thought.

>> >The only problem is that when I use the Cleanup feature and
>> >re-boot, the files apparently re-create themselves.

>> That's correct.

>Any reason that they would be in an IE5 directory when I'm
>using IE6?

It's just the folder name that I.E. (5/6) uses.

><snip>
>
>> >Would booting into DOS and deleting the files from there
>> >make any difference?

>> No -- that's what Spider does.

>I thought that in ME, you had to use a boot disk to enter
>the "true" DOS. The dos window that is accessible through
>"Start" is only a shell IIRC. When Spider Bite looks for the
>files I get the following...

<snip>

>which tells me that it's having problems, even though Spider
>is able to read them.

ANY program can read them, but they are locked to other programs
whilst the Windows environment is running, that's why internet
eraser type programs have to reboot to completely clean up the
tracks - they are deleted before the shell loads.

If you know what to do, you do not need any of those type of
programs, including Spider.

--
Basic computer maintenance