Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DNS mystery

DNS mystery

King O'Diamonds

I have 4 PCs on a LAN connected to the Internet through a router and a
switch. Everything was working fine until I had to reinstall W2K on
one of the PCs. Now it has some kind of DNS problem and cannot connect
to the Internet. All the PCs can connect to each other, and the
problem PC can connect to the Internet if I type in an IP address -
but not if I enter a site name. It is configured to get DNS server
addresses automatically, as are the other PCs. The problem PC cannot
even connect over dial-up - it gets a carrier but then fails
authentication. I've reinstalled W2K and SP4 a couple of times. Can
anyone help me out of this mess? Thanks!