Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Curious OE6 behavior

Curious OE6 behavior

Rusty Lillico

On my own web site, I have several small graphic buttons that are linked to
Adobe's download page for Acrobat Reader. A month or so ago, when I was
checking the pages online, I noticed that the buttons were missing. Looking
at the source code (online) showed that the link and the image ref had been
stripped out of the HTML code. This is the only graphic link on the site
that has been removed. If I go to the same site with Netscape, the buttons
are
there like they should be, and if I view it with an earlier version of IE on
a W98 machine, there's no deletion. I have since realized I'm seeing (or
not seeing) the same "censorship" of Adobe Acrobat buttons on other sites as
well.

What gives with this? Disabling my firewall and pop-up blocker does not
correct this, so it seems to be something to do with IE, perhaps some
security setting I haven't found yet (like Hide All Adobe Links....)

Rustiferion

°Mike°

Check that you haven't added Adobe to your hosts file.
Re-check your firewall settings, close IE and empty the
temporary internet files (including offline content).
Do you have something like Proxomitron installed, that
could be identifying the images as ads?

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:24:53 GMT, in
<980Ma.58696$(E-Mail Removed)>
Rusty Lillico scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Rusty Lillico

That's a new one on me, Mike. Where is my "hosts" file and what does it do?

In ZAPro, I have everything to do with Adobe checked as allowable, and no, I
don't believe I've run across Proxomitron before.

Perhaps I can deform the button into another shape, and see if it gets thru.
Or rename the image. That won't help on other sites, but it might provide a
clue....

Another irritation, and perhaps another clue, is that I can't download .PDF
files with IE - if I find something I want, I have to paste the URL into
Netscape and click on the file from there. IE loads the reader, then closes
the AA window and returns a blank web page with the notation "Done".

Rusty

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check that you haven't added Adobe to your hosts file.
> Re-check your firewall settings, close IE and empty the
> temporary internet files (including offline content).
> Do you have something like Proxomitron installed, that
> could be identifying the images as ads?

Brian H¹©

Errrrr...erm... Rusty Lillico said:

> That's a new one on me, Mike. Where is my "hosts" file and what does it do?

If you never loaded a hosts file onto your system, chances are you don't have
one.
You can take a look on my software page for the hosts file locations depending
on your OS, and even download a copy of the file itself, if I remember correctly
there are about 13,000+ entries in my file.
You might also like to check out the Hostess file too.

Errrrr...erm... Brian H¹© said:

> Errrrr...erm... Rusty Lillico said:
>
>> That's a new one on me, Mike. Where is my "hosts" file and what does it do?

> If you never loaded a hosts file onto your system, chances are you don't have
> one.
> You can take a look on my software page for the hosts file locations depending
> on your OS, and even download a copy of the file itself, if I remember
> correctly there are about 13,000+ entries in my file.
> You might also like to check out the Hostess file too.

www.absey-vine.co.uk/software/

A link helps doesn't it

>> In ZAPro, I have everything to do with Adobe checked as allowable, and no, I
>> don't believe I've run across Proxomitron before.
>>
>> Perhaps I can deform the button into another shape, and see if it gets thru.
>> Or rename the image. That won't help on other sites, but it might provide a
>> clue....
>>
>> Another irritation, and perhaps another clue, is that I can't download .PDF
>> files with IE - if I find something I want, I have to paste the URL into
>> Netscape and click on the file from there. IE loads the reader, then closes
>> the AA window and returns a blank web page with the notation "Done".
>>
>> Rusty
>>
>> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Check that you haven't added Adobe to your hosts file.
>>> Re-check your firewall settings, close IE and empty the
>>> temporary internet files (including offline content).
>>> Do you have something like Proxomitron installed, that
>>> could be identifying the images as ads?

°Mike°

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:41:18 GMT, in
<iBkMa.93964$(E-Mail Removed)>
Rusty Lillico scrawled:

>That's a new one on me, Mike. Where is my "hosts" file and what
>does it do?

As Brian said, if you haven't created one, you probably don't
have a hosts file. You can read about the hosts file here:
http://accs-net.com/hosts/
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

>In ZAPro, I have everything to do with Adobe checked as allowable,
>and no, I don't believe I've run across Proxomitron before.

You can find Proxomitron and info here:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html
http://computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Proxomitron

>Perhaps I can deform the button into another shape, and see if it
>gets thru. Or rename the image. That won't help on other sites,
>but it might provide a clue....

What popup blocker are you using? And have your cleared your
cache, like I suggested?

>Another irritation, and perhaps another clue, is that I can't
>download .PDF files with IE - if I find something I want, I have
>to paste the URL into Netscape and click on the file from there.
>IE loads the reader, then closes the AA window and returns a blank
>web page with the notation "Done".

You can set the browser integration from within Acrobat Reader's
preferences.

Configuring Windows browsers for Acrobat Reader
http://www.adobe.com/support/techgui...rwsr/main.html