Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem opening windows

Problem opening windows

Stevie R

I am running Windows XP Home with 2GHz and 512MB.

I am finding it takes a long time to open new windows in Windows Explorer
and Internet Explorer 6. It is even worse when I right-click and select
'Open in new window'. This problem does not occur when I select 'work
offline'.

Also, there are some folders on my C drive that I cannot seem to access
unless I am connected to the internet.

I hope it is not a problem with the performance of my computer. I tried
turning off my antivirus as well and only had a couple of programs
running at any given time but this did not help. The computer is
relatively new and not much disk space has been used up.

suraj2675@rediffmail.com

"Stevie R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bdns87$rmn$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am running Windows XP Home with 2GHz and 512MB.
>
> I am finding it takes a long time to open new windows in Windows Explorer
> and Internet Explorer 6. It is even worse when I right-click and select
> 'Open in new window'. This problem does not occur when I select 'work
> offline'.
>
> Also, there are some folders on my C drive that I cannot seem to access
> unless I am connected to the internet.
>
> I hope it is not a problem with the performance of my computer. I tried
> turning off my antivirus as well and only had a couple of programs
> running at any given time but this did not help. The computer is
> relatively new and not much disk space has been used up.

Hi, you can please try the below steps.
To Reset Web Settings and file associations:

1. Open My Computer.
2. Open Control Panel.
3. Open Internet Options.
4. Click the Programs tab.
5. Click the Reset Web Settings button toward the bottom (uncheck the
Reset Homepage box if you want to keep your current Homepage).
6. Click Apply.
7. Click OK.

In most cases you will want to reboot your machine to test the new
settings.

Otherwise repair Internet Explorer if using XP.

The following will guide you through repairing Internet Explorer 6
when running Windows XP. Please be advised you will need to close all
browser windows (including this one and EarthLink 5 if you're using
it) to proceed, so you may want to write down or print these
instructions:

1. Click on Start.
2. Go to Run.
3. Type SFC /SCANNOW and hit Enter.