Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > error deleting file

error deleting file

Alison Jones

Hi. Can anyone help? Got Win98 and downloaded file from kazaa lite. Don't
want or need this file now, but i can't seem to delete it!!! Message appears
: "cannot delete setup launcher. Access is denied. Make sure disk is not
full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."
Firstly...how do i find out if it is full or write protected? And
secondly.....how can i delete it??? Please help.............Ali x

Paul - xxx

Alison Jones deftly scribbled:

> Hi. Can anyone help? Got Win98 and downloaded file from kazaa lite.
> Don't want or need this file now, but i can't seem to delete it!!!
> Message appears
>> "cannot delete setup launcher. Access is denied. Make sure disk is
>> not

> full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."
> Firstly...how do i find out if it is full or write protected? And
> secondly.....how can i delete it??? Please help.............Ali x

Make sure it's not running .. Ctrl - Alt - Delete and 'End Task' the app,
then delete it ..

--
....................................Paul-xxx

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Alison Jones continued:

> Hi. Can anyone help? Got Win98 and downloaded file from kazaa lite.
> Don't want or need this file now, but i can't seem to delete it!!!
> Message appears
>> "cannot delete setup launcher. Access is denied. Make sure disk is
>> not

> full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."
> Firstly...how do i find out if it is full or write protected? And
> secondly.....how can i delete it??? Please help.............Ali x

What is the file ?
--
slumpy
no more

Alison Jones

The file is "grand theft auto vice city setup launcher.exe". Tried
Ctrl/Alt/Delete that Paul suggested and there are 2 items that i am unsure
of! All the rest i have seen before...bar these 2....E_srcv02 and E_s1t0a2.
Don't want to delete the wrong one!!! Can anyone please let me know which
one i can get rid of....or both!!! Thanks. Ali x

Slumpy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdnn58$v3b19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Alison Jones continued:
>
> > Hi. Can anyone help? Got Win98 and downloaded file from kazaa lite.
> > Don't want or need this file now, but i can't seem to delete it!!!
> > Message appears
> >> "cannot delete setup launcher. Access is denied. Make sure disk is
> >> not

> > full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."
> > Firstly...how do i find out if it is full or write protected? And
> > secondly.....how can i delete it??? Please help.............Ali x

> What is the file ?
> --
> slumpy
> no more
> no less
> just slumpy

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Alison Jones continued:

> The file is "grand theft auto vice city setup launcher.exe". Tried
> Ctrl/Alt/Delete that Paul suggested and there are 2 items that i am
> unsure of! All the rest i have seen before...bar these 2....E_srcv02
> and E_s1t0a2. Don't want to delete the wrong one!!! Can anyone please
> let me know which one i can get rid of....or both!!! Thanks. Ali x

Ctrl/alt/delete doesn't delete anything it just closes that application.
They are obviously related, so I'd shut them both down and try again.
--
slumpy
no more

Shep©

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:46:41 GMT, In this world we created "Alison
Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Hi. Can anyone help? Got Win98 and downloaded file from kazaa lite. Don't
>want or need this file now, but i can't seem to delete it!!! Message appears
>: "cannot delete setup launcher. Access is denied. Make sure disk is not
>full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."
>Firstly...how do i find out if it is full or write protected? And
>secondly.....how can i delete it??? Please help.............Ali x

F8 bootup/Safemode and try from there.
If not then you will need to know the dos name of the file and restart
in msdos and navigate to the folder it's in and type
deltree <filename> and press enter.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Paul - xxx

Alison Jones deftly scribbled:

> The file is "grand theft auto vice city setup launcher.exe". Tried
> Ctrl/Alt/Delete that Paul suggested and there are 2 items that i am
> unsure of! All the rest i have seen before...bar these 2....E_srcv02
> and E_s1t0a2. Don't want to delete the wrong one!!! Can anyone please
> let me know which one i can get rid of....or both!!! Thanks. Ali x

Ctrl - Alt - Del doesn't delete anything. Use End Task just shuts the app
down ..

--
....................................Paul-xxx

°Mike°

If it's just a setup file, just reboot. You should be
able to delete the file after that.

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:04:31 GMT, in
<PnJLa.10786$(E-Mail Removed)>
Alison Jones scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Alison Jones

Hi, me again. Closed both applications down, rebooted, and file still
doesn't want to be deleted!!! Not even going to go into "safe mode" or
msdos....not that confident!!!
Thanks for all your help anyway guys, but i've got to go now. Will try again
in the morning, so if anyone has any more suggestions, please post them. All
help would be very much appreciated. Thanks again. Ali x

Paul - xxx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdnopf$tmdah$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alison Jones deftly scribbled:
>
> > The file is "grand theft auto vice city setup launcher.exe". Tried
> > Ctrl/Alt/Delete that Paul suggested and there are 2 items that i am
> > unsure of! All the rest i have seen before...bar these 2....E_srcv02
> > and E_s1t0a2. Don't want to delete the wrong one!!! Can anyone please
> > let me know which one i can get rid of....or both!!! Thanks. Ali x

> Ctrl - Alt - Del doesn't delete anything. Use End Task just shuts the app
> down ..
>

> --
> ...................................Paul-xxx

°Mike°

Boot into DOS and change directory to where the file is.
For instance, if it is on the desktop, type:

cd c:\windows\desktop

Now find out the DOS name of the file by typing:

dir grand???.exe

It will probably be named something like:

grandt~1.exe

Type:

del grandt~1.exe (or whatever the name is)

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:54:49 GMT, in
<Z6KLa.10838$(E-Mail Removed)>
Alison Jones scrawled:

--