Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cd drive - re-install

cd drive - re-install

Locutus

Hello all
I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format and
reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers mustn't be
on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on another disk so
question is how do I incorporate them into the boot disk so I can get them
loaded ?
Win 98 by the way.
Cheers

---

Robert Schumacher

On the crackling parchment of news:bdnm1e$9j5$(E-Mail Removed),
Locutus <(E-Mail Removed)> penned the following prose:
> Hello all
> I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format
> and reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers
> mustn't be on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on
> another disk so question is how do I incorporate them into the boot
> disk so I can get them loaded ?
> Win 98 by the way.
> Cheers

Try a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com with CDROM support...should have the DOS
mode CDROM driver (a standard Windows98 bootdisk should have this option, BTW).

Or, given your name, you could simply tell the computer "resistance is futile".

--
Robert Schumacher
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schumachersforum
http://www.plastic.com

Mara

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:35:44 +0100, Locutus wrote:

>Hello all
>I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format and
>reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers mustn't be
>on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on another disk so
>question is how do I incorporate them into the boot disk so I can get them
>loaded ?
>Win 98 by the way.
>Cheers

You can download a bootdisk here:

http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/

"Probably easier for you."

--
"I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
-- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000

Locutus

"Robert Schumacher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:96JLa.57145$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On the crackling parchment of news:bdnm1e$9j5$(E-Mail Removed),
> Locutus <(E-Mail Removed)> penned the following prose:
> > Hello all
> > I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format
> > and reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers
> > mustn't be on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on
> > another disk so question is how do I incorporate them into the boot
> > disk so I can get them loaded ?
> > Win 98 by the way.
> > Cheers
> >

> Try a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com with CDROM support...should have the

DOS
> mode CDROM driver (a standard Windows98 bootdisk should have this option,

BTW).

> Or, given your name, you could simply tell the computer "resistance is

futile".

> --
> Robert Schumacher
> http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schumachersforum
> http://www.plastic.com

I have got a win 98 boot disk which allows this however the drivers on it
dont cover every type of cd drive and i susspect this is one thats not
coverd but i'll try another boot disk just incase.
Its the other way around at the moment the computer is telling me
"resistance is futile". ; )

---

°Mike°

Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?

Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.

The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):

DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001

Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
drive letter you wish to assign):

a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:35:44 +0100, in
<bdnm1e$9j5$(E-Mail Removed)>
Locutus scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Shepİ

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:16:06 +0100, In this world we created "Locutus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Robert Schumacher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:96JLa.57145$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On the crackling parchment of news:bdnm1e$9j5$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Locutus <(E-Mail Removed)> penned the following prose:
>> > Hello all
>> > I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format
>> > and reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers
>> > mustn't be on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on
>> > another disk so question is how do I incorporate them into the boot
>> > disk so I can get them loaded ?
>> > Win 98 by the way.
>> > Cheers
>> >

>> Try a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com with CDROM support...should have the

>DOS
>> mode CDROM driver (a standard Windows98 bootdisk should have this option,

>BTW).
>>
>> Or, given your name, you could simply tell the computer "resistance is

>futile".
>>
>> --?
>> Robert Schumacher
>> http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schumachersforum
>> http://www.plastic.com
>>

>I have got a win 98 boot disk which allows this however the drivers on it
>dont cover every type of cd drive and i susspect this is one thats not
>coverd but i'll try another boot disk just incase.
>Its the other way around at the moment the computer is telling me
>"resistance is futile". ; )

If the win98 floppy was made From the control panel it uses a,"RAM"
drive that knocks the Cdrom drive letters down 1.If your Cdrom drive
was D: it will now be E: etc.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Shepİ

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:18:37 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?
>
>Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
>information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
>must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.
>
>The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
>cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):
>
>DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001
>

>Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
>in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
>drive letter you wish to assign):
>
>a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

Incorrect.The BIOS assigns the cdrom drive letters otherwise this
wouldn't work and does,

Autoexec.bat
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /dog
Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /dog

Try it and see

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

°Mike°

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:28:16 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Shepİ scrawled:

>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:18:37 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>>Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?
>>
>>Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
>>information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
>>must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.
>>
>>The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
>>cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):
>>
>>DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001
>>

>>Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
>>in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
>>drive letter you wish to assign):
>>
>>a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

>Incorrect.The BIOS assigns the cdrom drive letters otherwise this
>wouldn't work and does,
>
>Autoexec.bat
>C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /dog
>Config.sys
>DEVICE=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /dog
>
>Try it and see

It's not incorrect. Mscdex can, and does, override any BIOS
drive letter assignment with the /L switch. You MUST assign
the same drive designation in both config.sys and autoexec.bat,
just as *your* example does.

I don't need to try it.

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Shepİ

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:49:35 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:28:16 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Shepİ scrawled:
>
>>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:18:37 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>>>Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?
>>>
>>>Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
>>>information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
>>>must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.
>>>
>>>The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
>>>cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):
>>>
>>>DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001
>>>

>>>Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
>>>in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
>>>drive letter you wish to assign):
>>>
>>>a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

>>Incorrect.The BIOS assigns the cdrom drive letters otherwise this
>>wouldn't work and does,
>>
>>Autoexec.bat
>>C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /dog
>>Config.sys
>>DEVICE=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /dog
>>
>>Try it and see

>It's not incorrect. Mscdex can, and does, override any BIOS
>drive letter assignment with the /L switch. You MUST assign
>the same drive designation in both config.sys and autoexec.bat,
>just as *your* example does.
>
>I don't need to try it.

You never do

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Plato

Mara wrote:

> You can download a bootdisk here:
>
> http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/

He carries ALL the disks I created. Yes, they work, of course.

Anytime you download a bootdisk from the Internet, 99.99% of the time it
was made my me.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/