Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mysterious Self-rebooting system

Mysterious Self-rebooting system

Joe Warrington

Slight problem - when I shut down the computer it restarts just as it turns
off as if I had chosen the 'restart' option from the shutdown menu.
Therefore I have to wait until the computer is in the rebooting process
before I can shut it down from the case power button - pretty annoying.

Anyone have any ideas? Turning it off from the mains for a period appears to
help for a time, which suggests the problem could be hardware related?

I am running Windows XP HE, and the only harware that could conceivably be
causing the problem would be my motherboard - Elite K7VTA3 v3.1

Thanks in advance

Paul - xxx

Joe Warrington deftly scribbled:

> Slight problem - when I shut down the computer it restarts just as it
> turns off as if I had chosen the 'restart' option from the shutdown
> menu. Therefore I have to wait until the computer is in the rebooting
> process before I can shut it down from the case power button - pretty
> annoying.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Turning it off from the mains for a period
> appears to help for a time, which suggests the problem could be
> hardware related?
>
> I am running Windows XP HE, and the only harware that could
> conceivably be causing the problem would be my motherboard - Elite
> K7VTA3 v3.1
>
> Thanks in advance

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
"Shutdown problems in Windows XP can be caused by many factors, just like
earlier versions of Windows. These included: a damaged exit sound file;
incorrectly configured, damaged, or incompatible hardware; conflicting
programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver."

--
....................................Paul-xxx

°Mike°

Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;311806

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:16:03 +0100, in
<qGILa.96$(E-Mail Removed)>
Joe Warrington scrawled:

>Slight problem - when I shut down the computer it restarts just as it turns
>off as if I had chosen the 'restart' option from the shutdown menu.
>Therefore I have to wait until the computer is in the rebooting process
>before I can shut it down from the case power button - pretty annoying.
>
>Anyone have any ideas? Turning it off from the mains for a period appears to
>help for a time, which suggests the problem could be hardware related?
>
>I am running Windows XP HE, and the only harware that could conceivably be
>causing the problem would be my motherboard - Elite K7VTA3 v3.1
>
>Thanks in advance

STGP, OGPE24HSHD