Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: transferring from old c to new c drive

Re: transferring from old c to new c drive

Ron Martell

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi group,
>What is the correct procedure for transferring the contents of my old c
>drive to a new c drive after partioning and formatting,do i need a specific
>program or can it be done on the fly?

As others have said the free xxcopy utility is a viable method of
doing what you want.

However it is also relatively slow so if you have a large volume of
data to be transferred (e.g. more than 20 gb) then you might want to
look for a faster method of doing the transfer.

Other transfer options include:

1. Utility provided by the hard drive manufacturer. If there was no
utility disk provided with the new hard drive then you can download
one (free) from most hard drive manufacturer's web sites. These
utilities tend to be brand-specific, requiring that at least one of
the hard drives involved be their brand.

2. Ghost from Symantec

3. Drive Image from Power Quest

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada