Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Setting Up Files On C Drive

Setting Up Files On C Drive

Sammie MacFarlane

I want to download my software on my new computer, just reformatted
and I want to do it right. I've always put my files in the C drive but I'm
not able to make a new file there...says they are hidden files. I wanted
to make a folder with my name and subfolders under that with Printing
or Recipes etc. Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Sammie MacFarlane

Mcploppy

In news:yVnLa.29463$(E-Mail Removed),
Sammie MacFarlane <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I want to download my software on my new computer, just reformatted
> and I want to do it right. I've always put my files in the C drive
> but I'm not able to make a new file there...says they are hidden
> files. I wanted to make a folder with my name and subfolders under
> that with Printing
> or Recipes etc. Please help.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sammie MacFarlane
> (E-Mail Removed)

Why dont you create a folder in your "My Documents" folder labelled
"Downloads" or something like that and save all files in that folder.
This will help find items you have downloaded when you are carrying out back
ups etc
HTH
--
Greg Crawford
**********************

Sammie MacFarlane

"Sammie MacFarlane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yVnLa.29463$(E-Mail Removed). ..
I want to download my software on my new computer, just reformatted
and I want to do it right. I've always put my files in the C drive but
I'm not able to make a new file there...says they are hidden files. I
wanted
to make a folder with my name and subfolders under that with Printing
or Recipes etc. Please help.

Thank you in advance.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

just use windows explorer and make a folder on your C: drive

file...new...folder
(you can give it any name you wish)

it's not a good idea to just fill your root directory with downloads

Thanks Philo...You wrote:
" it's not a good idea to just fill your root directory with downloads"...
what would be a better location than the C drive to put these software
downloads?
I have tons of printing programs that I use often plus many other
categories, so
share with me how to do this better.

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Mcploppy continued:

> In news:yVnLa.29463$(E-Mail Removed),
> Sammie MacFarlane <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>> I want to download my software on my new computer, just reformatted
>> and I want to do it right. I've always put my files in the C drive
>> but I'm not able to make a new file there...says they are hidden
>> files. I wanted to make a folder with my name and subfolders under
>> that with Printing
>> or Recipes etc. Please help.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Sammie MacFarlane
>> (E-Mail Removed)

> Why dont you create a folder in your "My Documents" folder labelled
> "Downloads" or something like that and save all files in that folder.
> This will help find items you have downloaded when you are carrying
> out back ups etc
> HTH

Best not to overload My Docs with knitting patterns and apple-pie recipes
tho
--
slumpy
no more

Mcploppy

In news:bdl37v$tvgsi$(E-Mail Removed),
Slumpy <(E-Mail Removed)> bashed at the keyboard and said..:
> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Mcploppy continued:
>
>> In news:yVnLa.29463$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Sammie MacFarlane <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>> I want to download my software on my new computer, just reformatted
>>> and I want to do it right. I've always put my files in the C drive
>>> but I'm not able to make a new file there...says they are hidden
>>> files. I wanted to make a folder with my name and subfolders under
>>> that with Printing
>>> or Recipes etc. Please help.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Sammie MacFarlane
>>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> Why dont you create a folder in your "My Documents" folder labelled
>> "Downloads" or something like that and save all files in that folder.
>> This will help find items you have downloaded when you are carrying
>> out back ups etc
>> HTH

> Best not to overload My Docs with knitting patterns and apple-pie
> recipes tho

Why .....where doe you keep yours... is there a special place in windows for
"knitting patterns" I certainly have a lot of them, my favourite is the blue
and white striped leather buttoned cardigan.....

philo

<snipped>
> Thanks Philo...You wrote:
> " it's not a good idea to just fill your root directory with downloads"...
> what would be a better location than the C drive to put these software
> downloads?
> I have tons of printing programs that I use often plus many other
> categories, so
> share with me how to do this better.

remember, windows is here to serve you...

just make the folders in any fashion that's convent for you

you may make seperate folders or sub-folders in any way
that you will be able to keep track of