Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: JS Trojan

Re: JS Trojan

°Mike°

What was the *exact* name of the trojan? What's your OS?

Try alternatives for cleaning your system:

Online Antivirus scanners:
--------------------------
http://housecall.antivirus.com/
http://www.pandasoftware.es/activesc...vescan-com.asp
http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp

Anti-virus programs:
--------------------
eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

Vet (Computer Associates)
http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

Gladiator
http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

F-Prot
http://www.f-prot.com/download/

AVG
http://www.grisoft.com/

On 28 Jun 2003 03:37:30 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
Netty scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Netty

I'm using Win98SE. The only name Norton came up with for the trojan
was
js[1].js - couldn't repair it, could only send it to quarantine.
Anyway, the lump hammer didn't have to come out in the end. After a
lot of faffing about, I managed to fdisk and reinstall Win98.
Hopefully (touch wood) it's got rid of the little blighter. I've done
a lot of searching over the net and can't seem to find an official
name for this particular trojan (anybody know its name?). It had
gathered a lot of information in a short space of time. It was amazing
when I found its 'log files' to see just what it had gathered. I'm
just glad I don't purchase anything over the net or do O/L banking as
it looked like the trojan was tracking my key strokes as well as what
sites i'd been to and details about my system setup. I've had my fair
share of virii(?) but this was my first detected trojan, shook me up a
bit. Hope I don't get another like it.

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> What was the *exact* name of the trojan? What's your OS?
>
> Try alternatives for cleaning your system:
>
> Online Antivirus scanners:
> --------------------------
> http://housecall.antivirus.com/
> http://www.pandasoftware.es/activesc...vescan-com.asp
> http://commandondemand.com/eval/index.cfm
> http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
>
> Anti-virus programs:
> --------------------
> eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
> http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm
>
> Vet (Computer Associates)
> http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html
>
> Sophos
> http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/
>
> Gladiator
> http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/
>
> F-Prot
> http://www.f-prot.com/download/
>
> AVG
> http://www.grisoft.com/
>

> On 28 Jun 2003 03:37:30 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> Netty scrawled:
>
> >Can anybody help me before I take a lump hammer to my pc?!?!
> >
> >Somehow I ended up with a JS Trojan - js[1].js - on my PC. Norton only
> >picked it up when I did a system scan after the pc started doing silly
> >things. The infected files have been quarantined and deleted but has
> >left a bit of a mess that I can't quite sort out.
> >
> >I'm now left with a computer that won't let me delete my emails or
> >view newsgroups in Outlook Express and I can't restart in DOS (just
> >gives me a blank screen and goes in standby), so my idea of formatting
> >my hard drive and starting again has just gone out of the window.
> >
> >The idea of building another pc is looking rather good at this moment
> >in time, but I don't really want to go down that road just yet. Does
> >anybody have any idea what I can do about the mess the trojan has
> >left, before I start swinging the hammer???
> >
> >Cheers
> >Netty

°Mike°

Holy smoke, this is over a week old.

Anyway, as well as keeping your antivirus and anti-trojan
software up-to-date (check for updates EVERY day), install
a firewall (Outpost is the easiest to use):

Outpost

Sygate
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

Kerio
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

Tiny
http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?pg=tpf4_overview

On 8 Jul 2003 14:29:05 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
Netty scrawled:

>I'm using Win98SE. The only name Norton came up with for the trojan
>was
>js[1].js - couldn't repair it, could only send it to quarantine.
>Anyway, the lump hammer didn't have to come out in the end. After a
>lot of faffing about, I managed to fdisk and reinstall Win98.
>Hopefully (touch wood) it's got rid of the little blighter. I've done
>a lot of searching over the net and can't seem to find an official
>name for this particular trojan (anybody know its name?). It had
>gathered a lot of information in a short space of time. It was amazing
>when I found its 'log files' to see just what it had gathered. I'm
>just glad I don't purchase anything over the net or do O/L banking as
>it looked like the trojan was tracking my key strokes as well as what
>sites i'd been to and details about my system setup. I've had my fair
>share of virii(?) but this was my first detected trojan, shook me up a
>bit. Hope I don't get another like it.
>

>°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> What was the *exact* name of the trojan? What's your OS?
>>
>> Try alternatives for cleaning your system:
>>
>> Online Antivirus scanners:

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance