Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > slow messages

slow messages

Tomm

I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
Now the messages take even longer!
About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
Any ideas?

Unk

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:58:21 +0100, "Tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
> Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
> Now the messages take even longer!
> About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
>I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
> Any ideas?

Try http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and take the tweak test.
Your MTU is probably the wrong value for broadband.

Unk

Brian H供

Errrrr...erm... Tomm said:

> I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
> Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
> Now the messages take even longer!
> About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
> I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
> Any ideas?

Wow, do you strip your car engine every time your ashtray is full?

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Tomm continued:

> I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
> Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
> Now the messages take even longer!
> About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
> I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
> Any ideas?

What maintenance do you carry out ?
--
slumpy
no more

bb3

"Slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdiifp$sqro3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Tomm continued:
>
> > I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
> > Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
> > Now the messages take even longer!
> > About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
> > I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
> > Any ideas?

> What maintenance do you carry out ?
> --
> slumpy
> no more
> no less
> just slumpy

...."a clean XP installation"...

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as bb3 continued:

> "Slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bdiifp$sqro3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Tomm continued:
>>
>>> I had a problem with newsgroup messages downloading slowly.
>>> Since then I have done a clean XP installation.
>>> Now the messages take even longer!
>>> About 7seconds for a 1kb message to download.
>>> I`m on pipex broadband, everything else is fine #.
>>> Any ideas?

>> What maintenance do you carry out ?
>>

> ..."a clean XP installation"...

So your folders are empty ?
--
slumpy
no more

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供 continued:

> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as bb3 continued:
>>
>>> "Slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bdiifp$sqro3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> ..."a clean XP installation"...

>> So your folders are empty ?

> No, but Tomm's might be

True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to distant old
relatives, they always cheer me up
--
slumpy
no more

Brian H供

Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供 continued:

>> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:
>>
>>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
>>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as bb3 continued:

>>> So your folders are empty ?

>> No, but Tomm's might be

> True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to distant old
> relatives, they always cheer me up

Did you see Red Dwarf last night?

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供 continued:

> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供
>> continued:

>>> No, but Tomm's might be

>> True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to
>> distant old relatives, they always cheer me up

> Did you see Red Dwarf last night?

On cable/sat ? I hope it wasn't on old-fangled windup terrestriualTV ah
****it

Brian H供

Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供 continued:

>> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:
>>
>>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
>>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H供
>>> continued:

>>> True, but I'm bored with this one, wanna misposted letter to
>>> distant old relatives, they always cheer me up

>> Did you see Red Dwarf last night?

> On cable/sat ? I hope it wasn't on old-fangled windup terrestriualTV ah
> ****it

On Beeb2, it must have been the very first episode as they met/saved Kryten when
they answered a distress call from the Nova 5.