Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Stopping Messenger messages

Re: Stopping Messenger messages

Joel Rubin

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:29:19 +0100, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>After installing Norton and Spybot there are still "Messenger" messages
>appearing on a friend's machine. I've suggested Pop-up Stopper. Any suggestions?
>Thanks.

You can stop Windows XP Messenger spam by running services.msc and
setting the Messenger service (right click) to "disabled".

Of course, you shouldn't do this if you are actually receiving legit
messages. (e.g. if you're on a local network with a network
suprevisor)

rifleman

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Joel Rubin <(E-Mail Removed)> contemplated the little bit of fluff in
his navel and typed:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:29:19 +0100, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> After installing Norton and Spybot there are still "Messenger"
>> messages appearing on a friend's machine. I've suggested Pop-up
>> Stopper. Any suggestions? Thanks.

> You can stop Windows XP Messenger spam by running services.msc and
> setting the Messenger service (right click) to "disabled".
>
> Of course, you shouldn't do this if you are actually receiving legit
> messages. (e.g. if you're on a local network with a network
> suprevisor)

But all this only stops the symptoms - the cause is open ports on your
machine. Get and install a decent firewall.