Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need Help Booting My Computer

Need Help Booting My Computer

Pete Holland Jr.

Hey, everybody!

I just tried installing new memory in my computer, and am having big
problems.

My motherboard is rated for 100 Mhz memory. I originally had a 128M in
there, three slots total. I bought a 256M, put it in Slot 0, and put
the 128M in Slot 1. Worked fine.

The other day, I bought two more of the 256M (the maker said they were
designed for both 100 and 133's, and the first 256 I bought that worked
was the same way). I loaded them in, and my computer started having
trouble booting. I reset it, and it won't start up at all now. It will
boot, checking the drives, and that's it. When I first start my
machine, the keyboard has three lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll
Lock) that light up, then go out, then the computer resumes booting.
Now, the lights come on and stay on, the computer doesn't do anything
else. The monitor won't even display anything. It won't even read the
emergency boot disk in the A drive, which is the first thing it checks.

I have tried installing the chips in every conceivable combination,
including removing all of them and putting in the original 128. Nothing
is working. Can anyone give me a clue what is wrong?

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland J.r

Pete Holland Jr.

Hey everybody!

Sorry to bother everyone. My computer is working again. I started
checking peripherals and cards to see if they were plugged in properly.
I noticed the CPU itself seemed loose. A good push, and it snapped in
place. I set the holders, and it works again.

So my problem was that the CPU wasn't in all the way. Sorry for the
bother. You've been a great help with all my other questions, I don't
want to abuse the privelidge.

Thank you again,
Pete Holland Jr.

Babas

Check the maximum memory specifications for your motherboard.
Check your CMOS settings to see if the system has a saved memory
capacity its trying to access.. (Usually F1 or DEL message on screen
when powered on) but be careful not to change anything else unless you
know exactly what your changing.

"Pete Holland Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hey, everybody!
>
> I just tried installing new memory in my computer, and am having big
> problems.
>
> My motherboard is rated for 100 Mhz memory. I originally had a 128M in
> there, three slots total. I bought a 256M, put it in Slot 0, and put
> the 128M in Slot 1. Worked fine.
>
> The other day, I bought two more of the 256M (the maker said they were
> designed for both 100 and 133's, and the first 256 I bought that worked
> was the same way). I loaded them in, and my computer started having
> trouble booting. I reset it, and it won't start up at all now. It will
> boot, checking the drives, and that's it. When I first start my
> machine, the keyboard has three lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll
> Lock) that light up, then go out, then the computer resumes booting.
> Now, the lights come on and stay on, the computer doesn't do anything
> else. The monitor won't even display anything. It won't even read the
> emergency boot disk in the A drive, which is the first thing it checks.
>
> I have tried installing the chips in every conceivable combination,
> including removing all of them and putting in the original 128. Nothing
> is working. Can anyone give me a clue what is wrong?
>
> Dobre utka,
> Pete Holland J.r

Jb

same problem here, would appreciate hearing the answer...