Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

fitwell

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:47:17 GMT, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:45:10 -0000, Jimchip
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:

>>> And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
>>> words, do we use?

>>"slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
>>you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
>>ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
>>http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

>Phew! Thanks and will do!

Awesome! I tested clear in ShieldsUp completely! I was hoping that
was the case, but good to find out.

I didn't do so well in the second but that's because I have Javascript
enabled and no cookie stopper installed at this time.

Great sites!

>>> Thanks.

[snip]

fitwell

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:28:09 -0400, "Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Yea for you! I do not think that you need to prepare at all, other than
>updating to a newer ZA. I have free version 3.7.159. For fun, activate your
>current ZA, and then wait until the cable is installed. Then update, and
>watch with glee as it's download speed! You're going to love broadband!
>
>Good Luck!

Well, of course I'm very happy with the cable!!

At work we have super fast connections so it was always tough to come
home to dialup, I just must strategize my bills somewhat differently.
But the cable is awesome.

Everyone was right, there didn't seem to be anything I needed to do
other than have the firewall going at all times. I'm going to have to
get over that insecure feeling, though. With dialup, my problems were
virtually over once I disconnected; here, it's live all the time. I
can now really understand why people who use their computers a lot
have two. One for internet work and continuous dl and others for
their real work, business, etc. Seems that that's something I can
think about in future.

Can't believe how fast webpages load, too, and the newsgroups update
in mere seconds instead of many, many minutes.

Cheers!

[snip]