Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

Cable internet installed tomorrow. Advice, pls.

fitwell

(If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)

I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
anyone point me in right direction?

Thanks.

Miggsee

Yea for you! I do not think that you need to prepare at all, other than
updating to a newer ZA. I have free version 3.7.159. For fun, activate your
current ZA, and then wait until the cable is installed. Then update, and
watch with glee as it's download speed! You're going to love broadband!

Good Luck!

"fitwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
> antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>
> I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
> operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
> that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
> the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
> know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
> anyone point me in right direction?
>
> Thanks.

NEMISIES

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:05:04 -0400, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
>antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>
>I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
>operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
>that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
>the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
>know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
>anyone point me in right direction?
>
>Thanks.

Just Start Her Up & Go for It !!! U will Notice the Difference
Belive Me !!

SgtMinor

You may find some of the info at these sites useful:

Cable Modem info:

http://www.cable-modems.org/Q&A/

http://speedguide.net/

Cable connection checking tools:

http://www.cable-modems.org/toolbox/

BTW, www.nojunkmail.com is a registered domain name. Do you actually
have an account at that address?

fitwell wrote:

> (If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
> antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>
> I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
> operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
> that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
> the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
> know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
> anyone point me in right direction?
>
> Thanks.

Solar^

Congrats on getting cable. I'm sure that you will love it. As far as
being prepared is concerned, a couple of programs might be helpful.
One is Accelerate (www.webroot.com). This program tweaks your computer
settings to get the most out of a cable connection. The other is
www.dslreports.com. This web site speed tests your connection. I only
got the basic install when I got cable, so I was responsible for
hooking the thing up to my computer. After a few calls to tech support
I was up and running. Probably a good idea to be sure and have their
number.
wrote:

>(If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
>antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>
>I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
>operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
>that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
>the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
>know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
>anyone point me in right direction?
>
>Thanks.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, fitwell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
> antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>
> I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
> operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
> that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
> the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
> know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
> anyone point me in right direction?

You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
different news server, too.

The programs you use do not have to change.

slick66ca

Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.
"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:270620031127044933%(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, fitwell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > (If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
> > antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
> >
> > I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
> > operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
> > that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
> > the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
> > know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
> > anyone point me in right direction?

> You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
> the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
> different news server, too.
>
> The programs you use do not have to change.

fitwell

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
words, do we use?

Thanks.

>"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:270620031127044933%(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, fitwell
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > (If it's needed, I have firewall app ZoneAlarm v2.6.357 and AVG
>> > antivirus, Win98SE, 650 MHz and 128 SDRam.)
>> >
>> > I don't know details but I know that cable internet doesn't quite
>> > operate in same way as dialup, aside from obvious differences, and
>> > that we must configure system a little differently (if I remember all
>> > the messages I've read out of curiousity in the past). But, I don't
>> > know what to do to prepare for this new form of internet for me. Can
>> > anyone point me in right direction?

>> You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
>> the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
>> different news server, too.
>>
>> The programs you use do not have to change.

Jimchip

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
>>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

> And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
> words, do we use?

"slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

> Thanks.
>

>>"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:270620031127044933%(E-Mail Removed). net...

>>> You will only change the network settings (to use Ethernet instead of
>>> the modem) and the mail account settings. You might be using a
>>> different news server, too.
>>>
>>> The programs you use do not have to change.

(lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

fitwell

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:45:10 -0000, Jimchip
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:58:44 -0400, fitwell wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:05:06 GMT, "slick66ca" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Possibly the most important thing you must remember is a firewall. With
>>>broadband, unlike a modem you have an open port to the internet 24/7.

>> And how do we protect against that? what firewall setting, in other
>> words, do we use?

>"slick66ca" misused the term 'port'. If you have a firewall installed then
>you probably are OK. Your ports are closed. Check with something like
>ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or another port scanner:
>http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

Phew! Thanks and will do!