Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can Viruses infect .AVI files???

Can Viruses infect .AVI files???

°Mike°

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:57:23 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Smiley scrawled:

>> The file you downloaded probably had a fake (double) extension.
>> This is a common way to trick people into running an infected
>> file. For instance, an infected file could be called:
>> somemovie.avi.exe , somemovie.avi.scr , somemovie.avi.vbs .
>> Most systems will NOT see the actual executable extension,
>> which is the last part of the file name. That is why it
>> is important that you scan ALL files - even from people you
>> know, and otherwise trust - BEFORE opening them.

>It didn't have a double extension, I'm not stupid enough to fall for that -
>I'm a computer programmer so I know about extensions. It was a plain .avi
>file, that's it. I need to know if a plain.avi file can be infected.

If you're not that stupid, then you shouldn't have any trouble
understanding my reply to you.

--
"Please Tell Me if you Don't Get This Message."

Shep©

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:02:59 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters "Slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
>threw back my head and roared with laughter as Smiley continued:
>
>>> And how do you think infected files get transmitted via Kazaa etc?

>> People who are trading executables like games and such, or word
>> documents and the like.

>Or people who expect to download an avi file, so think there's nothing
>wroing with downloading, say, 'this_video.avi' even though Kazaa doesn't
>show the actual file extension, thereby hiding the fact it really is
>'this_video.avi.exe'....and by the time you've run it, too late.

"Nail on the head" Slumpy.Right on the mark

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Smiley

> Or people who expect to download an avi file, so think there's nothing
> wroing with downloading, say, 'this_video.avi' even though Kazaa doesn't
> show the actual file extension, thereby hiding the fact it really is
> 'this_video.avi.exe'....and by the time you've run it, too late.

Kazaa actually hides the file extension? Good thing I don't use Kazaa.
Sorry, my file was actually a .avi file, I use WinMX and it doesn't hide
file extensions.

Brian H¹©

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...llw.purol.html

>>> Wrong:
>>>
>>> X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
>>>
>>> Also, javascript and HTML are (effectively) text files.

>> That's why I said "plain text"

> X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
>
> THAT'S "plain text".
>
> Save it as a text file an scan it. Rename it to xxxx.com
> and run it.

OK, if I have to dot t's and cross i's, a file in plain text written with
notepad or wordpad (ie, a letter or "text document"), without code, and saved
with *.txt and that will only be opened with notepad or wordpad.

Smiley

> > It didn't have a double extension, I'm not stupid enough to fall for
that -
> > I'm a computer programmer so I know about extensions. It was a plain

..avi
> > file, that's it. I need to know if a plain.avi file can be infected.

> Well if you *are* a programmer, you should know what a binary is, and what

code
> is, and how easy it is to insert code.

I know exactly what code is - and programming code needs to be run as, guess
what, a PROGRAM. Know what else? Image and video files are NOT programs,
and they do not contain programming code. If somebody's found some way
around that I'd be really interested in knowing how.

Unk

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:52:15 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:36:00 +0100, in
> <xWHKa.1388$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Brian H¹© scrawled:

>> Errrrr...erm... Smiley said:
>>
>>> What I've learned about viruses from college and other reading material led
>>> me to believe that viruses could not infect .avi files. I looked it up and
>>> found a page the further confirmed that:
>>> http://www.custom-code-factory.com/viruses.htm
>>>
>>> The thing is, I was downloading a .avi file over a file sharing network when
>>> my Norton Antivirus detected in it a virus called W32.HLLW.Purol (looked it
>>> up:
>>> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...llw.purol.html )
>>>
>>> Could this virus infect a .avi file? And if not, why did my antivirus
>>> detect it?

>>I think you will find that about the only thing that can't contain a virus is a
>>plain text file.

>Wrong:

Not quite true: See the EICAR Test String.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...dyn/11101.html

True, you can't execute it, but a text file can contain the code.
Copy and paste the below to a new text file and scan it with your antivirus
program.

***** <-- omit this line
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
***** <-- omit this line

Unk

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Shep© continued:

>> Or people who expect to download an avi file, so think there's
>> nothing wroing with downloading, say, 'this_video.avi' even though
>> Kazaa doesn't show the actual file extension, thereby hiding the
>> fact it really is 'this_video.avi.exe'....and by the time you've run
>> it, too late.

> "Nail on the head" Slumpy.Right on the mark

Thanks, precious
--
slumpy
no more

°Mike°

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:08:41 +0100, in
<apIKa.1413$(E-Mail Removed)>
Brian H¹© scrawled:

> Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:58:08 +0100, in
>> <gfIKa.1407$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Brian H¹© scrawled:

>http://securityresponse.symantec.com...llw.purol.html

>>> That's why I said "plain text"

>> X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
>>
>> THAT'S "plain text".
>>
>> Save it as a text file an scan it. Rename it to xxxx.com
>> and run it.

>OK, if I have to dot t's and cross i's, a file in plain text written with
>notepad or wordpad (ie, a letter or "text document"), without code, and saved
>with *.txt and that will only be opened with notepad or wordpad.

You're missing the point. The Eicar test virus is pure
ASCII, but contains executable code - it CAN be done.

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

fkasner

Brian H¹© wrote:
> Errrrr...erm... Smiley said:
>

>>What I've learned about viruses from college and other reading materialled
>>me to believe that viruses could not infect .avi files. I looked it upand
>>found a page the further confirmed that:
>>http://www.custom-code-factory.com/viruses.htm
>>
>>The thing is, I was downloading a .avi file over a file sharing networkwhen
>>my Norton Antivirus detected in it a virus called W32.HLLW.Purol (looked it
>>up:
>>http://securityresponse.symantec.com...llw.purol.html )
>>
>>Could this virus infect a .avi file? And if not, why did my antivirus
>>detect it?

> I think you will find that about the only thing that can't contain a virus is a
> plain text file.

Have you taken a look at EICAR.COM ? It is not readable in any language
that humans speak but it has a distinct virus signature and will set off
a good virus detector. You can create a virus using ASCII characters
from zero to 127 .
FK

Brian H¹©

Errrrr...erm... Unk said:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:52:15 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:36:00 +0100, in
>> <xWHKa.1388$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Brian H¹© scrawled:

>>> I think you will find that about the only thing that can't contain a virus
>>> is a plain text file.

>> Wrong:
>>

> Not quite true: See the EICAR Test String.
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...dyn/11101.html
>
> True, you can't execute it, but a text file can contain the code.
> Copy and paste the below to a new text file and scan it with your antivirus
> program.
>
> ***** <-- omit this line
> X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
> ***** <-- omit this line
>
> Unk

But that is *not* plain text, it is code. Plain text is what you find in
dictionaries.