Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I have got the following message : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"

I have got the following message : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"

Alex Vinokur

I have got the following message :

From : http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"

Dear Windows User!
New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
Best regards,
Windows Update Group

Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

Thanks,

--
=====================================
Alex Vinokur

Richard

"Alex Vinokur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bddqh3$n0r96$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got the following message :

> From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
> Dear Windows User!
> New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
> Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as

possible.
> You can download an update patch on Windows Update site:

http://www.windows-update.com
> Best regards,
> Windows Update Group
>
> Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?
>
> Thanks,

First of all, the domain name has nothing to do with microsoft.
Check it out for yourself and you'll see it is not the update site.
Secondly, microsoft does not send out e-mails about security patches or any
other item.
Thirdly, if you clicked open any attachment, you may now have a virus if you
are not protected with a good anti-virus detector.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

This is the actual windows update site.

AVG is a good, free antivirus program.
www.grisoft.com

NEMISIES

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:49:51 +0300, "Alex Vinokur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have got the following message :

>From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
>Dear Windows User!
>New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
>Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
>You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
>Best regards,
>Windows Update Group
>
>Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?
>
>Thanks,

Delete It !! Microsoft Does NOT POST UPDATES !!

Jud

"Alex Vinokur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bddqh3$n0r96$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got the following message :
>
> > You can download an update patch on Windows Update site:

http://www.windows-update.com
> Best regards,
> Windows Update Group

> MS never send email alerts so ignore it,

Jud

Sparker9

I wouldn't.

It sounds like a new approach to the recent run of unsolicited hoax e-mail messages containing an attachment with a virus.

See this article for more details:

Information on Bogus Microsoft Security Bulletin E-mails
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...patch_hoax.asp

"Alex Vinokur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bddqh3$n0r96$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got the following message :

> From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
> Dear Windows User!
> New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
> Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
> You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
> Best regards,
> Windows Update Group
>
> Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> =====================================
> Alex Vinokur
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html
> =====================================

---

Id@ M@nn

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have got the following message :

>From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
>Dear Windows User!
>New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
>Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
>You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
>Best regards,
>Windows Update Group
>
>Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?
>
>Thanks,

no, read up a bit, this is a fake.

Id@

nospamng@will-enterprises.com>

DON'T BE A FOOL! Do you really think you're going to get email from a reliable
source like this? This is a scam or most likely a virus, but it sure isn't a
genuine patch to the O/S!

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:49:51 +0300, "Alex Vinokur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have got the following message :

>From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
>Dear Windows User!
>New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
>Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
>You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
>Best regards,
>Windows Update Group
>
>Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?
>
>Thanks,

wayne

this will install a Trojan on your computer if you like viruses and want
someone to use your computer to send Spam go ahead and download it!

Otherwise delete it.

any Microsoft patch will be located at Microsoft.com

use your browser to go to any site as links can be faked in messages too!

Wayne

"Alex Vinokur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bddqh3$n0r96$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got the following message :

> From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
> Dear Windows User!
> New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
> Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as

possible.
> You can download an update patch on Windows Update site:

http://www.windows-update.com
> Best regards,
> Windows Update Group
>
> Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> =====================================
> Alex Vinokur
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html
> =====================================

Marty

Somewhere around Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:49:51 +0300, while reading
alt.os.windows2000, I think I thought I saw this post from "Alex Vinokur"
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>I have got the following message :

>From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
>Dear Windows User!
>New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
>Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
>You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
>Best regards,
>Windows Update Group
>
>Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

Definitely not. It is not even a US web site, it's nothing like what
Microsoft would send, Microsoft probably wouldn't say "as earlier as
possible".

I don't know what they're up to, but it's probably no good. There is a
legitimate web site called windowsupdate.com, but this is not them.

--
Marty - (E-Mail Removed)

EvilBill[AGQx]

Lo and behold, Alex Vinokur <(E-Mail Removed)> sayeth:
> I have got the following message :

> From : (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"
>
> Dear Windows User!
> New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
> Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier
> as possible.
> You can download an update patch on Windows Update site:
> http://www.windows-update.com Best regards,
> Windows Update Group
>
> Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

It's not absolutely essential, ie, your PC won't stop working or
anything if you don't. Most people recommend updating. I don't, but
then I have troubles with anything post-SP2.

* Usenet is a black hole. Once you're in, you can never get out.

E-mail: evilbill @ lineone . net (remove spaces to e-mail)
AIM: EvilBill1782
MSN: (E-Mail Removed) (do not e-mail me here!)
Web: http://www.angelfire.com/alt/evilbill/index.html

Matriarch Kheperkare - Lvl 94 Javazon - Open
Matriarch EB-Amarice - Lvl 92 Bowazon - USWest