Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Startup takes way too long!

Startup takes way too long!

Super Drunk

None of it is helping. I sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes
while it showed that damn "Compaq" in red letter at startup. Then when
I heard the hard drive chugging along a little I quickly pressed Ctrl
and went to option 2 which was log Bootlog and I did it. I went to
BootlogExaminer and it had the updated log file. NOTHING! The boot
process took only 1 minute or so. So the problem is not with Windows
booting up wrong. Something is going wrong BEFORE anything goes into
Windows. I don't get it. I went into the BIOS by hitting F10 and when
I got there nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I think it has to do
the POST because the I turn the computer on/reboot it, and it has the
little blinker on two spots of the screen. One is on the upper left
corner and then it goes to the right corner and then just stops doing
anything. The hard drive is not moving or anything. I'm really hoping
someone can help me on this because it's so annoying to turn the
computer on and not have it go into Windows for 20 mintues! Thank you
all for your help.

"Shep©" wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
> scutters Super Drunk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >I don't know if it is exactly during the POST because the thing won't
> >move from the "Compaq" screen. When I first turn on it has these little
> >blinking cursors on the screen so I'm assuming that it does the POST
> >already and THEN gets stuck. I don't know what else to do. Also, the
> >bootlog won't update. It keeps saying in BootExaminer that the
> >bootlog.txt is from 06/27/03 6:12 a.m. I tried to hold the control key
> >down and try it but it still says the same date on bootlog.txt I
> >already shifted the memory modules around when I installed new memory.
> >I have 256Mb, 64Mb, and 32Mb in that order from 1 to 3 banks. Thanks
> >for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

> <snip>
> Delete the bootlog.txt
> Re-boot and choose a logged bootup.It will make a new one.
> Post delays only.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> Free songs download,
> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

Shep©

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:26:42 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters Super Drunk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>None of it is helping. I sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes
>while it showed that damn "Compaq" in red letter at startup. Then when
>I heard the hard drive chugging along a little I quickly pressed Ctrl
>and went to option 2 which was log Bootlog and I did it. I went to
>BootlogExaminer and it had the updated log file. NOTHING! The boot
>process took only 1 minute or so. So the problem is not with Windows
>booting up wrong. Something is going wrong BEFORE anything goes into
>Windows. I don't get it. I went into the BIOS by hitting F10 and when
>I got there nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I think it has to do
>the POST because the I turn the computer on/reboot it, and it has the
>little blinker on two spots of the screen. One is on the upper left
>corner and then it goes to the right corner and then just stops doing
>anything. The hard drive is not moving or anything. I'm really hoping
>someone can help me on this because it's so annoying to turn the
>computer on and not have it go into Windows for 20 mintues! Thank you
>all for your help.

It sound's like a hardware fault and the bootlog may have pointed to
it.
However Compcraps are a law unto themselves.
Best post on here,

alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

>"Shep©" wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
>> scutters Super Drunk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>> >I don't know if it is exactly during the POST because the thing won't
>> >move from the "Compaq" screen. When I first turn on it has these little
>> >blinking cursors on the screen so I'm assuming that it does the POST
>> >already and THEN gets stuck. I don't know what else to do. Also, the
>> >bootlog won't update. It keeps saying in BootExaminer that the
>> >bootlog.txt is from 06/27/03 6:12 a.m. I tried to hold the control key
>> >down and try it but it still says the same date on bootlog.txt I
>> >already shifted the memory modules around when I installed new memory.
>> >I have 256Mb, 64Mb, and 32Mb in that order from 1 to 3 banks. Thanks
>> >for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

>> <snip>
>> Delete the bootlog.txt
>> Re-boot and choose a logged bootup.It will make a new one.
>> Post delays only.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> Free songs download,
>> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Unk

Try borrowing a known, good stick of memory, and use it instead of yours.
Maybe the BIOS is having a hard time with memory. (Slow, vs bad)

Unk

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:26:42 -0500, Super Drunk
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>None of it is helping. I sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes
>while it showed that damn "Compaq" in red letter at startup. Then when
>I heard the hard drive chugging along a little I quickly pressed Ctrl
>and went to option 2 which was log Bootlog and I did it. I went to
>BootlogExaminer and it had the updated log file. NOTHING! The boot
>process took only 1 minute or so. So the problem is not with Windows
>booting up wrong. Something is going wrong BEFORE anything goes into
>Windows. I don't get it. I went into the BIOS by hitting F10 and when
>I got there nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I think it has to do
>the POST because the I turn the computer on/reboot it, and it has the
>little blinker on two spots of the screen. One is on the upper left
>corner and then it goes to the right corner and then just stops doing
>anything. The hard drive is not moving or anything. I'm really hoping
>someone can help me on this because it's so annoying to turn the
>computer on and not have it go into Windows for 20 mintues! Thank you
>all for your help.
>
>"Shep©" wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
>> scutters Super Drunk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>> >I don't know if it is exactly during the POST because the thing won't
>> >move from the "Compaq" screen. When I first turn on it has these little
>> >blinking cursors on the screen so I'm assuming that it does the POST
>> >already and THEN gets stuck. I don't know what else to do. Also, the
>> >bootlog won't update. It keeps saying in BootExaminer that the
>> >bootlog.txt is from 06/27/03 6:12 a.m. I tried to hold the control key
>> >down and try it but it still says the same date on bootlog.txt I
>> >already shifted the memory modules around when I installed new memory.
>> >I have 256Mb, 64Mb, and 32Mb in that order from 1 to 3 banks. Thanks
>> >for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

>> <snip>
>> Delete the bootlog.txt
>> Re-boot and choose a logged bootup.It will make a new one.
>> Post delays only.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> Free songs download,
>> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

°Mike°

Power off, open your box and remove EVERYTHING - take the
whole thing apart. Clean everything up; blow out any dirt
or dust; clean contacts etc., and replace everything, making
sure that there are no loose connections and try again.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:26:42 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Super Drunk scrawled:

>None of it is helping. I sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes
>while it showed that damn "Compaq" in red letter at startup. Then when
>I heard the hard drive chugging along a little I quickly pressed Ctrl
>and went to option 2 which was log Bootlog and I did it. I went to
>BootlogExaminer and it had the updated log file. NOTHING! The boot
>process took only 1 minute or so. So the problem is not with Windows
>booting up wrong. Something is going wrong BEFORE anything goes into
>Windows. I don't get it. I went into the BIOS by hitting F10 and when
>I got there nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I think it has to do
>the POST because the I turn the computer on/reboot it, and it has the
>little blinker on two spots of the screen. One is on the upper left
>corner and then it goes to the right corner and then just stops doing
>anything. The hard drive is not moving or anything. I'm really hoping
>someone can help me on this because it's so annoying to turn the
>computer on and not have it go into Windows for 20 mintues! Thank you
>all for your help.
>
>"Shep©" wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
>> scutters Super Drunk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>> >I don't know if it is exactly during the POST because the thing won't
>> >move from the "Compaq" screen. When I first turn on it has these little
>> >blinking cursors on the screen so I'm assuming that it does the POST
>> >already and THEN gets stuck. I don't know what else to do. Also, the
>> >bootlog won't update. It keeps saying in BootExaminer that the
>> >bootlog.txt is from 06/27/03 6:12 a.m. I tried to hold the control key
>> >down and try it but it still says the same date on bootlog.txt I
>> >already shifted the memory modules around when I installed new memory.
>> >I have 256Mb, 64Mb, and 32Mb in that order from 1 to 3 banks. Thanks
>> >for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

>> <snip>
>> Delete the bootlog.txt
>> Re-boot and choose a logged bootup.It will make a new one.
>> Post delays only.
>>
>> HTH

<snip broken, spammy sig>

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Super Drunk

Well, let me first thank you for replying to this thread after a few
days. Second, on my last post what I mean to say was that instead of
saying "06/27/03" it said "06/17/03" I hit the wrong key of "2" instead
of "1" by accident. In any case that problem is solved and I have an
updated bootlog.txt file. Now here is the data you requested. One
thing to note, however. It says "Bootup Time (min.): 00:45" in the
data. So I take it means 45 minutes to boot but, how can that be? The
computer gets stuck on the "Compaq" screen for maybe 20 minutes and then
boots up in windows in about a minute. Also it says the file is created
at 3:20:32 but the first process doesn't show up until 3:22:33; two
minutes after the file is created. I look at BootExaminer and it says
that system time at first process is 3:22:23 PM and the last process is
at 3:23:19 PM. Ofcourse, the first thing that fails is the first
process it tries to execute. Maybe that's what's causing all this. The
first process at 3:22:23 is a failed process as you will see in the
data. Thank you all very much for your time on this problem. Here is
the data you requested (maximize your window if you can please):

-------START DATA-----------

Bootlog Examiner (C:\Bootlog.txt 6/27/2003 3:20:32 PM)

(Delays Only Shown)

System Time Proc. Time Process
----------- ---------- -------

3:22:33 PM *** 20.33 Loading Device = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CPQIDECD.SYS
3:22:57 PM *** 6.22 C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE[000F35C0]
starting
3:23:09 PM *** 1.56 Dynamic load success lmouse.vxd
3:23:10 PM *** 1.33 DEVICEINIT = LMOUSE
3:23:13 PM *** 1.44 Initing esdi_506.pdr
3:23:14 PM *** 1.44 Initing drvwq117.vxd

Bootup Time (min.): 00:45
Total Delays: 6
Total Failures: 6
Total Entries: 845

-------------------------

Bootlog Examiner (C:\Bootlog.txt 6/27/2003 3:20:32 PM)

(Failures Only Shown)

System Time Proc. Time Process
----------- ---------- -------

3:22:33 PM 0.00 *** LoadFailed = C:\ESSOLO.SYS
3:22:53 PM 0.00 *** LoadFailed = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CPQIDECD.SYS
3:23:04 PM 0.00 *** LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd
3:23:06 PM 0.00 *** DEVICEINITFAILED = MTRR
3:23:16 PM 0.00 *** INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SIS530V
3:23:16 PM 0.00 *** INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SDVXD

Bootup Time (min.): 00:45
Total Delays: 6
Total Failures: 6
Total Entries: 845

---------END DATA---------------

"°Mike°" wrote:

> It *is* the 27th of June (06/27/03) today.
> In Bootlog Examiner select 'Show only delays' and copy the
> results to the clipboard. Paste them into notepad. Now
> select 'Show only failures', and copy/paste into notepad.
> Copy the results from notepad and paste them here.
>
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Super Drunk scrawled:

Super Drunk

Just a quick note... I did a search for ESSOLO.sys and it showed up in
C:\ and also ESSOLO.com and ESSOLO.ini The ESSOLY.sys is an 11 kb
file. I guess the file is where it should so I don't get why it's
failing to load.