Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OT: Electrical question

OT: Electrical question

Watcher of the Skies

Can anyone give me the formula for calculating the Max AMPAGE a cable can
carry by counting the strands and measuring their diameter with a
micrometer?

THANX

Brian H

Errrrr...erm... Watcher of the Skies said:

> Can anyone give me the formula for calculating the Max AMPAGE a cable can
> carry by counting the strands and measuring their diameter with a
> micrometer?
>
> THANX

I'm sure that someone could, but they might ask if it's copper wire or steel.

Buffalo

The amt of amperage a wire can carry usually also depends on its insulation
and its length.A short bare wire in free air can carry a lot.
For instance, a #12awg wire with poor temp insulation in a pipe is usually
only good to about 20 amps while a bare #12 awg wire in free air can carry
50amps, more or less. Stranded wire can usually carry more current than a
solid wire of the same awg rating because of its increased surface area.
Sorry, I know I didn't answer your question.
This link will relate wire diameter to awg.
http://www.hardwarebook.net/table/AWG.html

"Watcher of the Skies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FwkKa.379$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone give me the formula for calculating the Max AMPAGE a cable can
> carry by counting the strands and measuring their diameter with a
> micrometer?
>
> THANX

Kenny

I did this as part of BTEC but can't remember, have a look here:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/w...esistance.html

--

Kenny

"Watcher of the Skies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FwkKa.379$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone give me the formula for calculating the Max AMPAGE a cable can
> carry by counting the strands and measuring their diameter with a
> micrometer?
>
> THANX

John

Depends whether copper or aluminium, whether armoured, unarmoured, whether
run in air or underground, ambient temp?., how many cables run together.

Determine xsection area of each strand multiply by no. of strands in core to
find sq.mm, then refer to IEE Wiring regulations to obtain current rating
for that size.

J.
"Watcher of the Skies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FwkKa.379$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone give me the formula for calculating the Max AMPAGE a cable can
> carry by counting the strands and measuring their diameter with a
> micrometer?
>
> THANX

Watcher of the Skies

Ah - somebody who knows what I am talking about & doesn't take the **** out
of my spelling.
Thanks
Thank to all the rest who tried
Hi Bear Nation gets the "killfile" for his contribution.

news:bdcuku$rq3qu$(E-Mail Removed)...