Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Move files while keeping date modified

Move files while keeping date modified

jaze

Is there a way to move an entire file folder (e.g., My Documents) from
one drive to another while keeping the dates of all the files within
the folder the same as when they were created.
If I use Windows Explorer to move a folder from one drive to another,
all the file dates are changed to today's date.
I've tried zipping the folder, and unzipping it on the new drive, but
the dates still change.
I want to keep the long file names.

Thanks,
-Jaze

Richard

"jaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to move an entire file folder (e.g., My Documents) from
> one drive to another while keeping the dates of all the files within
> the folder the same as when they were created.
> If I use Windows Explorer to move a folder from one drive to another,
> all the file dates are changed to today's date.
> I've tried zipping the folder, and unzipping it on the new drive, but
> the dates still change.
> I want to keep the long file names.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jaze

No. Windows sees a move as a new creation and therefor changes the date
accordingly.
some software editors may allow you to "tag" the files so that true creation
dates can be associated with them.

°Mike°

XXCopy can retain the original dates.
http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy15.htm