Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: SATA what?

Re: SATA what?

Alien Zord

"fred do" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd9pfd$q15oa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, instead of purchasing a SCSI hd I've decided to go ahead and get:
> Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 80GB SATA150
> (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-in...icklinx=259XWS)
>
> 1) Instead of purchasing a seperate PCI card for it, would it work

exactly
> the same if I bought a mobo with RAID built-in like this one:
> Gigabyte SoA VIA KT400A ATX A L R

(http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...7VAXP-A%20Ultr
a.ht
> m)
>
> 2) What about the power cable? Can I use the same one as I use for

UDMA
> ATA/133 IDE hard drives?
>
> 3) Can I set the SATA150 hard drive as C: drive and connect 2 other

120GB
> UDMA ATA/133 hard drives to the said mobo and have them act as D: and

E:
> drives respectively in Windows XP?
>
> 4) According to the spec of the said mobo, there are "3 x cooling fan

pin
> header". Does that mean I can connect 3 CoolerMaster Quiet 8cm Case

Fans?

1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better
http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...N400%20Pro.htm
amazing sound processor with equally amazing sound control panel, Dolby
processor, SPDIF in and out (for the "in" function you have to make the
connector yourself), separate connectors for analogue surround and
centre/sub speakers, optical and coaxial SPDIF out. Requires 5.1 speaker
system though. Just built a few customer systems around it and I was
impressed.
2) No, a power adapter cable is required.
3) Yes
4) Yes

fred do

"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd9uiu$prvvf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better
> http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...N400%20Pro.htm

Will that fit into this case
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=01082

> 2) No, a power adapter cable is required.

Where do I get that from?

TIA!

Alien Zord

"fred do" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd9vl3$qa2mf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bd9uiu$prvvf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better

http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...N400%20Pro.htm

> Will that fit into this case
> http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=01082
>
> > 2) No, a power adapter cable is required.

> Where do I get that from?

It certainly will fit into that case! Too big, I prefer elegant "just
big enough" cases like the ones in here (and no doors, they are a pain):
http://www.cjcomputers.co.uk/

The power adaptors are available from Gigabyte distributors so just tell
your favourite retailer that Ideal Hardware have got them.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd9uiu$prvvf$(E-Mail Removed)...

Just wanted to piggyback on this one ...

> > 4) According to the spec of the said mobo, there are "3 x cooling fan

> pin
> > header". Does that mean I can connect 3 CoolerMaster Quiet 8cm Case

> Fans?
> >

> 4) Yes

Actually, 4 is normally "no", unless you use a 4-wire kit for the
CPU fan. That's one of the headers, anyway.

Unless you're going to use software speed control, or want to
monitor the fan RPMs, there's no need to use an on-board fan header for a
case fan, IMO.

(Of course, I !LIKE! to be able to monitor fan speeds ... but that's
a different subject.)

RwP

fred do

OK, am I the only person who can't find the damn technical or installation
manual for the Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA150?
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/ has no link to their Serial ATA hard drives,
or am I looking in the wrong place?

I just want to find out whether it has a legacy power connector!

"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bda4gc$qt941$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "fred do" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bd9vl3$qa2mf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bd9uiu$prvvf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > 1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better
> > >

> http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...N400%20Pro.htm
> >
> > Will that fit into this case
> > http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=01082
> >
> > > 2) No, a power adapter cable is required.

> > Where do I get that from?
> >

> It certainly will fit into that case! Too big, I prefer elegant "just
> big enough" cases like the ones in here (and no doors, they are a pain):
> http://www.cjcomputers.co.uk/
>
> The power adaptors are available from Gigabyte distributors so just tell
> your favourite retailer that Ideal Hardware have got them.

Alien Zord

"Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gB5Ka.8896$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .
> "Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bd9uiu$prvvf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 4) Yes

> Actually, 4 is normally "no", unless you use a 4-wire kit for

the
> CPU fan. That's one of the headers, anyway.

Hehe, nitpicking. For a split of a second I forgot that the total count
includes the CPU fan header.