Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP problem

XP problem

Ad Noctum

Hi my sister has a problem starting her computer. She has XP Home but when
she boots the computer up it gets as far as the welcome screen and then just
sits there. Now I have tried booting into safe mode, booting from the cd
disc and tried to get it to go back to the last known configuration but to
no avail, it still does the same thing, I also tried to get it to reinstall
the software but cant seem to find anyway to do it. Any ideas people? Also
am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed for at least a
year?

Thanks in advance

Unk

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:25:59 +0100, "Ad Noctum"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi my sister has a problem starting her computer. She has XP Home but when
>she boots the computer up it gets as far as the welcome screen and then just
>sits there. Now I have tried booting into safe mode, booting from the cd
>disc and tried to get it to go back to the last known configuration but to
>no avail, it still does the same thing, I also tried to get it to reinstall
>the software but cant seem to find anyway to do it. Any ideas people? Also
>am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed for at least a
>year?
>
>Thanks in advance

Set the BIOS to boot from the XP install CD. It should detect the disk and
give a brief message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD
press any key.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
using the Recovery console.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
on, follow the screens.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Unk

Plato

Ad Noctum wrote:

> am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed for at least a
> year?

XP is NOT guaranteed at all.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Frank

Ad Noctum wrote:
| Hi my sister has a problem starting her computer. She has XP Home
| but when she boots the computer up it gets as far as the welcome
| screen and then just sits there. Now I have tried booting into
| safe mode, booting from the cd disc and tried to get it to go
| back to the last known configuration but to no avail, it still
| does the same thing, I also tried to get it to reinstall the
| software but cant seem to find anyway to do it. Any ideas people?
| Also am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed
| for at least a year?
|
| Thanks in advance

That is what mine does until I type in my pw......

--
Tampa Bay