Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: New (should be) 24hoursupport.helpdesk FAQ

Re: New (should be) 24hoursupport.helpdesk FAQ

Brian H

Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Unk continued:
>
>> news://(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Unk

> Strange behaviour with that link - had to remove the // to get anywhere and
> then it said it was expired or removed.
> A straight click tried to start a new account and download newsgroups.
> WTF ?

news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with ftp://

trout

Brian H wrote:

> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Unk continued:
>>
>>> news://(E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> Unk

>> Strange behaviour with that link - had to remove the // to get
>> anywhere and then it said it was expired or removed.
>> A straight click tried to start a new account and download
>> newsgroups.
>> WTF ?

> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
> ftp://

Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
the newsgroup was not available on the server?
--
"Just curious."

Unk

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:32:40 -0700, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brian H¹© wrote:

>> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:
>>
>>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
>>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Unk continued:

>>> Strange behaviour with that link - had to remove the // to get
>>> anywhere and then it said it was expired or removed.
>>> A straight click tried to start a new account and download
>>> newsgroups.
>>> WTF ?

>> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
>> ftp://

> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
>name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
>the newsgroup was not available on the server?

Strange..... when I click on that message ID, it takes Forte Agent right
to the message. I even did that BEFORE I posted the direct link to make
sure it worked!

Unk

Mike

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:37:25 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Unk scrawled:

>On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:32:40 -0700, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Brian H wrote:

>>> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
>>> ftp://

>> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
>>name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
>>the newsgroup was not available on the server?

>Strange..... when I click on that message ID, it takes Forte Agent right
>to the message. I even did that BEFORE I posted the direct link to make
>sure it worked!
>
>Unk

Use (without the //)
news:(E-Mail Removed)

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Brian H

Errrrr...erm... Brian H said:

> Errrrr...erm... trout said:
>
>> Brian H wrote:

>>> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
>>> ftp://

>> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
>> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
>> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

> It will take whatever is after // as a domain name, seeing as it had an @ in
> it.

Forget what I said after the comma, I think I need more alkihaul.

Brian H

Errrrr...erm... Mike said:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:37:25 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Unk scrawled:

>>> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
>>> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
>>> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

>> Strange..... when I click on that message ID, it takes Forte Agent right
>> to the message. I even did that BEFORE I posted the direct link to make
>> sure it worked!
>>
>> Unk

> Use (without the //)
> news:(E-Mail Removed)

Yep, that gives me an error message instead.

trout

Brian H wrote:

> Errrrr...erm... trout said:
>
>> Brian H wrote:

>>> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise
>>> with
>>> ftp://

>> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
>> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message
>> if
>> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

> It will take whatever is after // as a domain name, seeing as it had
> an @ in it.

Ah. So, basically it went looking for a news-server because I told
it to.
--
"Great. Now OE is going to pout all day, no matter how many times I
apologize."

Brian H

Errrrr...erm... trout said:

> Brian H wrote:

>> Errrrr...erm... trout said:

>>> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
>>> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message
>>> if
>>> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

>> It will take whatever is after // as a domain name, seeing as it had
>> an @ in it.

> Ah. So, basically it went looking for a news-server because I told
> it to.

'fraid so

Mike

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:18 -0700, in
<bd7t07$p1pcv$(E-Mail Removed)>
trout scrawled:

>Mike wrote:

<snip>

>> Use (without the //)
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Ding ding. That's the one. Another message to save.

"For it is the doom of men that they forget" - Merlin

Brian H

Errrrr...erm... Mike said:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:18 -0700, in
> <bd7t07$p1pcv$(E-Mail Removed)>
> trout scrawled:
>
>> Mike wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> Use (without the //)
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)

>> Ding ding. That's the one. Another message to save.

> "For it is the doom of men that they forget" - Merlin

Merlin who?