Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Please help

Please help

Diane Lee

Hi I am having big probs with my pc. I posted a message last week about
shutdown problems - I am still having them - CRTCClient, DDE Server window,
MSVGR32 error messages when I try to shut down. Also, I can't access email
attachments so I saved them onto floppy disk but now it won't let me access
them from floppy. I can't retrieve anything on cd either. Please help me
and could you put it in simple terms as well cos I'm not the sharpest knive
in the drawer!!!!!!

thanks

Diane

°Mike°

Scan your system for any infection/malware, perform
some basic system maintenance, and streamline your
startups.

Online Antivirus scanners:
--------------------------
http://housecall.antivirus.com/
http://www.pandasoftware.es/activesc...vescan-com.asp
http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp

Anti-virus programs:
--------------------
eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

Vet (Computer Associates)
http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

Gladiator
http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

F-Prot
http://www.f-prot.com/download/

AVG
http://www.grisoft.com/

Anti-spyware:
-------------
Spybot Search & Destroy
http://security.kolla.de/

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster

Anti-trojan:
------------
Trojan Defence Suite
http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

Trojan Hunter
http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

Trojan Remover
http://www.simplysup.com/

Tauscan
http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

Basic system maintenance:

· Close I.E. and empty your temporary internet files from
Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check the
box to include offline content.

· Clean up unnecessary files from your hard drive. HDValet
performs this well, and is highly configurable.

http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-...05/hdvalet.zip

· Make sure that you do not have too many files and folders in
'My Documents'. Create new folders *outside* of 'My Documents'
and move stuff to the new folders.

· Clean up your registry (you MUST read the FAQs):
Jv16 Power Tools
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
EasyCleaner
http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm

· Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

· Reboot and immediately empty your Windows\Temp folder.

· Empty your recycle bin.

· Keep your system well maintained.

Disable the Windows 98 fast shutdown:

How to disable Fast Shutdown in Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;187607

If all else fails, re-install Windows into another folder:

How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;193902

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:08:25 +0100, in
<%aIJa.10077$(E-Mail Removed)>
Diane Lee scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Prof

You didn't say what operating system you have but if you have XP or Win ME,
try restoring system to an earlier time before all of the trouble started.
news:%aIJa.10077$(E-Mail Removed)...