Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Download question

Download question

Kev

Evening all.
I have a few zips on my site that I want
people to be able to download individually.
I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
the site just specific ones.
So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
so that people can't help themselves.
If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
I want to be able to send a link so that the download
window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
access will be available to all the zips.
In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
1234.zip
What link would I send so they can download the
individual zip.
Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
it really is.
Cheers.

Brian H供

Errrrr...erm... Kev said:

> Evening all.
> I have a few zips on my site that I want
> people to be able to download individually.
> I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
> the site just specific ones.
> So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
> so that people can't help themselves.
> If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
> I want to be able to send a link so that the download
> window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
> they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
> I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
> access will be available to all the zips.
> In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
> 1234.zip
> What link would I send so they can download the
> individual zip.
> Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
> it really is.
> Cheers.

You want people to have a URL, but you don't want them to know what the URL is.
If you are invited out for a meal in a restaurant, don't you think it would help
to know where to go?

You want them to be able to access zip files, but you haven't named them zip.
Do you really expect people to download files when they can't tell what they
are?
At least with zip files, they can be read without saving first.

You want them to have access to some files but not all of them.
Create a temporary folder, and only place the files you want to share in that
folder.

Fred Orton

That would be handled by the security settings of your web server. Usually,
you define what files can be accessed by users, and what can not - the ones
that can not are not shown to those that can't access them.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd7g01$8df$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Evening all.
> I have a few zips on my site that I want
> people to be able to download individually.
> I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
> the site just specific ones.
> So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
> so that people can't help themselves.
> If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
> I want to be able to send a link so that the download
> window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
> they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
> I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
> access will be available to all the zips.
> In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
> 1234.zip
> What link would I send so they can download the
> individual zip.
> Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
> it really is.
> Cheers.

Gram

If you have high level access to your web space you'd want to set the
permissions on the individual files - where are your files hosted?

"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd7g01$8df$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Evening all.
> I have a few zips on my site that I want
> people to be able to download individually.
> I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
> the site just specific ones.
> So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
> so that people can't help themselves.
> If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
> I want to be able to send a link so that the download
> window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
> they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
> I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
> access will be available to all the zips.
> In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
> 1234.zip
> What link would I send so they can download the
> individual zip.
> Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
> it really is.
> Cheers.

Brian H供

Errrrr...erm... Kev said:

> Brian H供 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WBHJa.2662$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Errrrr...erm... Kev said:
>>
>>> Evening all.
>>> I have a few zips on my site that I want
>>> people to be able to download individually.
>>> I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
>>> the site just specific ones.
>>> So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
>>> so that people can't help themselves.
>>> If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
>>> I want to be able to send a link so that the download
>>> window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
>>> they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
>>> I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
>>> access will be available to all the zips.
>>> In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
>>> 1234.zip
>>> What link would I send so they can download the
>>> individual zip.
>>> Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
>>> it really is.
>>> Cheers.

>> You want people to have a URL, but you don't want them to know what the URL
>> is. If you are invited out for a meal in a restaurant, don't you think it
>> would help to know where to go?
>>
>> You want them to be able to access zip files, but you haven't named them zip.
>> Do you really expect people to download files when they can't tell what they
>> are?
>> At least with zip files, they can be read without saving first.
>>
>> You want them to have access to some files but not all of them.
>> Create a temporary folder, and only place the files you want to share in that
>> folder.

> Thought I'd have trouble with this one.
> The people will know what they are downloading
> as the zips are named, and they've asked for them.
> I've used 1234 etc. as an example.
> I've done it myself in the past, I've been sent the link, no URL,
> "click here," download window appears,save to file and
> away to go.
>
>> Create a temporary folder, and only place the files you want to share in that
>> folder.

> That is an option I may have to fall back on, but it looks a lot better the
> other way.
> Someone out there must know what I mean and how to do it. (
> Cheers.

If you place an index.html in your root folder linking to specific files in
sub-folders, *and* place a linkless index.html in the sub-folders, no-one will
be able to see the contents of the sub-folders, as they will be served the
linkless index.html by default.

Kev

Gram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd7hfk$3pc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have high level access to your web space you'd want to set the
> permissions on the individual files - where are your files hosted?

Hi Gram.
Don't even want to go that way.
Sounds a bit complicated already.

Richard

"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd7g01$8df$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Evening all.
> I have a few zips on my site that I want
> people to be able to download individually.
> I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
> the site just specific ones.
> So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
> so that people can't help themselves.
> If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
> I want to be able to send a link so that the download
> window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
> they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
> I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
> access will be available to all the zips.
> In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
> 1234.zip
> What link would I send so they can download the
> individual zip.
> Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
> it really is.
> Cheers.

assuming you have anonymous FTP capabilities that is. Check with your host.
But most people would like to know what type of file it is before they
download it.

Kev

> If you place an index.html in your root folder linking to specific files

in
> sub-folders, *and* place a linkless index.html in the sub-folders, no-one

will
> be able to see the contents of the sub-folders, as they will be served the
> linkless index.html by default.

This sounds about right Brian, now if I could get my head around it.........
I can put an index page up with links to the individual files.

The links would lead to the individual zips in separate folders
named the same as the zips.

Do you mean activate the links on the index page as and when needed ?

Losing it a bit here.

癕ike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:44:04 +0100, in
> <bd7hqe$69t$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Kev scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Thought I'd have trouble with this one.
> >The people will know what they are downloading
> >as the zips are named, and they've asked for them.
> >I've used 1234 etc. as an example.
> >I've done it myself in the past, I've been sent the
> >link, no URL, "click here," download window appears,
> >save to file and away to go.

> Do you mean just listing them, like so?
>
> http://www.some-web-page/1234.zip
> http://www.some-web-page/3456.zip
> http://www.some-web-page/5678.zip
> http://www.some-web-page/7890.zip

Hi Mike.
Didn't really want the URL showing, but looks like
I may have to go that way.

癕ike

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:20:26 +0100, in
<bd7juk$j9e$(E-Mail Removed)>
Kev scrawled:

>癕ike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:44:04 +0100, in
>> <bd7hqe$69t$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Kev scrawled:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >Thought I'd have trouble with this one.
>> >The people will know what they are downloading
>> >as the zips are named, and they've asked for them.
>> >I've used 1234 etc. as an example.
>> >I've done it myself in the past, I've been sent the
>> >link, no URL, "click here," download window appears,
>> >save to file and away to go.

>> Do you mean just listing them, like so?
>>
>> http://www.some-web-page/1234.zip
>> http://www.some-web-page/3456.zip
>> http://www.some-web-page/5678.zip
>> http://www.some-web-page/7890.zip

>Hi Mike.
>Didn't really want the URL showing, but looks like
>I may have to go that way.

So you mean that you just want 1234.zip to show in
the browser? If so, just edit the HTML code like so:

The "Download 1234.zip" is what will be seen, but the url
will still be visible in the status bar.

That's if I'm understanding you correctly.

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD