Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > slow internet connection

slow internet connection

luvtogofast

Over the past few days my cable internet connection has slowed down
alot. the cable company tells me that everything seems fine on thier
end but there seems to be a modem leak on my end. They suggest i scan
for adware or spyware. i did and found none and my connection is
still slow. I have not installed anything recently and i'm not sure
where to go from here, any suggestions?

--
Soylent Green is People!
LuvToGoFast

°Mike°

Basic system maintenance:

· Close I.E. and empty your temporary internet files from
Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check the
box to include offline content.

· Clean up unnecessary files from your hard drive. HDValet
performs this well, and is highly configurable.

http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-...05/hdvalet.zip

· Make sure that you do not have too many files and folders in
'My Documents'. Create new folders *outside* of 'My Documents'
and move stuff to the new folders.

· Clean up your registry (you MUST read the FAQs):
Jv16 Power Tools
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
EasyCleaner
http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm

· Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

· Reboot and immediately empty your Windows\Temp folder.

· Empty your recycle bin.

· Keep your system well maintained.

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:03:13 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
luvtogofast scrawled:

>Over the past few days my cable internet connection has slowed down
>alot. the cable company tells me that everything seems fine on thier
>end but there seems to be a modem leak on my end. They suggest i scan
>for adware or spyware. i did and found none and my connection is
>still slow. I have not installed anything recently and i'm not sure
>where to go from here, any suggestions?

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Shepİ

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:03:13 -0400, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters luvtogofast <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Over the past few days my cable internet connection has slowed down
>alot. the cable company tells me that everything seems fine on thier
>end but there seems to be a modem leak on my end. They suggest i scan
>for adware or spyware. i did and found none and my connection is
>still slow. I have not installed anything recently and i'm not sure
>where to go from here, any suggestions?

Your ISP is lying to you.
They always do :/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

luvtogofast

no luck, any other suggestions?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:09:27 +0100, °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Basic system maintenance:
>
>· Close I.E. and empty your temporary internet files from
> Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check the
> box to include offline content.
>
>· Clean up unnecessary files from your hard drive. HDValet
> performs this well, and is highly configurable.
>
>http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-...05/hdvalet.zip
>
>· Make sure that you do not have too many files and folders in
> 'My Documents'. Create new folders *outside* of 'My Documents'
> and move stuff to the new folders.
>
>· Clean up your registry (you MUST read the FAQs):
> Jv16 Power Tools
> http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
> EasyCleaner
> http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm
>
>· Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
> http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm
>
>· Reboot and immediately empty your Windows\Temp folder.
>
>· Empty your recycle bin.
>
>· Keep your system well maintained.
>

>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:03:13 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> luvtogofast scrawled:
>
>>Over the past few days my cable internet connection has slowed down
>>alot. the cable company tells me that everything seems fine on thier
>>end but there seems to be a modem leak on my end. They suggest i scan
>>for adware or spyware. i did and found none and my connection is
>>still slow. I have not installed anything recently and i'm not sure
>>where to go from here, any suggestions?

--
Soylent Green is People!
LuvToGoFast

°Mike°

Have you scanned your system for virus/trojan infection?

Online Antivirus scanners:
--------------------------
http://housecall.antivirus.com/
http://www.pandasoftware.es/activesc...vescan-com.asp
http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp

Anti-virus programs:
--------------------
eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

Vet (Computer Associates)
http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

Gladiator
http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

F-Prot
http://www.f-prot.com/download/

AVG
http://www.grisoft.com/

Anti-trojan:
----------------
Trojan Defence Suite
http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

Trojan Hunter
http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

Trojan Remover
http://www.simplysup.com/

Tauscan
http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

Also streamline your startups:
------------------------------

StartupList
http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Startup Monitor
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Check what's necessary and what isn't
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:24:21 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
luvtogofast scrawled:

>no luck, any other suggestions?
>
>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:09:27 +0100, °Mike°
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Basic system maintenance:

<snip>

>>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:03:13 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> luvtogofast scrawled:
>>
>>>Over the past few days my cable internet connection has slowed down
>>>alot. the cable company tells me that everything seems fine on thier
>>>end but there seems to be a modem leak on my end. They suggest i scan
>>>for adware or spyware. i did and found none and my connection is
>>>still slow. I have not installed anything recently and i'm not sure
>>>where to go from here, any suggestions?

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Fred Orton

You can try installing a firewall program. Zone Alarm is one that comes to
mind, Black Ice is another. You set it to inform you of all outgoing
internet requests, and it will spot any servers (trojans, etc...) running
off your system. It will inform you of any unauthorized attempts to connect
to the internet.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

"luvtogofast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Over the past few days my cable internet connection has slowed down
> alot. the cable company tells me that everything seems fine on thier
> end but there seems to be a modem leak on my end. They suggest i scan
> for adware or spyware. i did and found none and my connection is
> still slow. I have not installed anything recently and i'm not sure
> where to go from here, any suggestions?
>

> --
> Soylent Green is People!
> LuvToGoFast

luvtogofast

i have zone alarm, my IP says there is something in my computer that
is causing "packet loss", not really sure what that means but i have
tried sys restore to fix, tried safe mode and other users on my
computer all to no avail. Any other s;uggestions?
help help help

--
Soylent Green is People!
LuvToGoFast

luvtogofast

i've scanned for virus and trogans and tried system restore and tried
safe mode and logging on as a different user and nothing has worked
sofar. Help ME Please!

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:06:44 +0100, °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you scanned your system for virus/trojan infection?
>
>Online Antivirus scanners:
>--------------------------
>http://housecall.antivirus.com/
>http://www.pandasoftware.es/activesc...vescan-com.asp
>http://commandondemand.com/eval/index.cfm
>http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
>
>Anti-virus programs:
>--------------------
>eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
>http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm
>
>Vet (Computer Associates)
>http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html
>
>Sophos
>http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/
>
>Gladiator
>http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/
>
>F-Prot
>http://www.f-prot.com/download/
>
>AVG
>http://www.grisoft.com/
>

>Anti-trojan:
>----------------
>Trojan Defence Suite
>http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/
>
>Trojan Hunter
>http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp
>
>Trojan Remover
>http://www.simplysup.com/
>
>Tauscan
>http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/
>

>Also streamline your startups:
>------------------------------
>
>StartupList
>http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
>
>Startup Monitor
>http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
>
>Check what's necessary and what isn't
>http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
>http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm
>

>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:24:21 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> luvtogofast scrawled:
>
>>no luck, any other suggestions?
>>
>>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:09:27 +0100, °Mike°
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Basic system maintenance:

><snip>
>

>>>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:03:13 -0400, in
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> luvtogofast scrawled:

--
Soylent Green is People!
LuvToGoFast

Steve Gorr

maybe your NIC is going bad?
"luvtogofast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have zone alarm, my IP says there is something in my computer that
> is causing "packet loss", not really sure what that means but i have
> tried sys restore to fix, tried safe mode and other users on my
> computer all to no avail. Any other s;uggestions?
> help help help
>
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:19:32 GMT, "Fred Orton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >You can try installing a firewall program. Zone Alarm is one that comes

> >mind, Black Ice is another. You set it to inform you of all outgoing
> >internet requests, and it will spot any servers (trojans, etc...) running
> >off your system. It will inform you of any unauthorized attempts to

connect
> >to the internet.
> >
> >Hope this helps,
> >
> >Fred.
> >
> >"luvtogofast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Over the past few days my cable internet connection has slowed down
> >> alot. the cable company tells me that everything seems fine on thier
> >> end but there seems to be a modem leak on my end. They suggest i scan
> >> for adware or spyware. i did and found none and my connection is
> >> still slow. I have not installed anything recently and i'm not sure
> >> where to go from here, any suggestions?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Soylent Green is People!
> >> LuvToGoFast

> --
> Soylent Green is People!
> LuvToGoFast

luvtogofast

you are right, lying bastards
after the 3rd call to customer service they fixed the problem

Thanks all for the help

--
Soylent Green is People!
LuvToGoFast