Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet connection sharing hell !

Internet connection sharing hell !

Mark Foster

Hi

I've got one machine that ADSL comes into
Four machines on the network share that connection ( in theory ! )

All machines are running XP

The itnernet/email works fine on the host
On the client machines though, web pages rarely fully load, they are often
missing images or they simply get a DNS error. Likewise with email on the
client machines is very erratic. One minute it will work, the next not. The
only program that consistantly works on the clients is messenger which seems
to enjoy a good connection.

Zone alarm is running on the server but that's not to blame as I've always
used that with the same settings and this problem is only recent. I've
disconnected the xp built in firewall but that doesn't seem to help

Network traffic in terms of files and sql server access to the server works
perfectly. It just seems to be DNS resolving that is failing somehow ( but
not all the time )

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Mark

1337 H4x0r

Can you confirm specifically what hardware the internet traffic goes into
once it leaves the host machine i.e. hub!?

"Mark Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd5641$g5s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I've got one machine that ADSL comes into
> Four machines on the network share that connection ( in theory ! )
>
> All machines are running XP
>
> The itnernet/email works fine on the host
> On the client machines though, web pages rarely fully load, they are often
> missing images or they simply get a DNS error. Likewise with email on the
> client machines is very erratic. One minute it will work, the next not.

The
> only program that consistantly works on the clients is messenger which

seems
> to enjoy a good connection.
>
> Zone alarm is running on the server but that's not to blame as I've always
> used that with the same settings and this problem is only recent. I've
> disconnected the xp built in firewall but that doesn't seem to help
>
> Network traffic in terms of files and sql server access to the server

works
> perfectly. It just seems to be DNS resolving that is failing somehow ( but
> not all the time )
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Fred Orton

A few more details would help. From your message, I am going to assume that
you have enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on the host machine.

Your host machine should have an ip address either given you by your isp or
given you by dhcp. You want to confirm that.

Secondly, you want to make sure the other machines on the network are set to
receive ip, gateway, and dns information via dhcp (that is what ics does -
it uses dhcp to give your client machines their ip, gateway and dns
addresses).

This process will work best if you have room for 2 network cards on the
primary (host) computer. Make sure the two network cards are TWO DIFFERENT
brands. It makes this a LOT easier. You would then go from your adsl modem
to network card 1. You would enable internet connection sharing on card #2
and go from it to the switch/hub. The reason for two different brands is
that you can determine which is the incoming connection and which is the
outgoing connection a lot easier than trying to guess which (for example)
dlink card is #1 and which is #2 in the properties.

Hope this helps!

Fred.