Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help! Socket error! What do I do?

Help! Socket error! What do I do?

Fidcal

Help! Socket error! What do I do? Apart from panic that is?
I just re-partitioned my hard drive and all seemed OK until I
tried to log on to the Internet. Now I can't access the net on
my main install. I get this error in one of my programs...

Started up Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 28 1998,
at 19:33:24.
Socket -1 created
WSAAsyncSelect() error:10038
Socket operation on non-socket.
An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

I replaced wsock32.dll in case the file was corrupt but no luck!
PLEASE help!

why?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:57:28 +0100, Fidcal wrote:

>Help! Socket error! What do I do? Apart from panic that is?
>I just re-partitioned my hard drive and all seemed OK until I

<snip>
Service Packs / Updates / application patch could be any of these or
more.
>Started up Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 28 1998,
>at 19:33:24.

1998, what ver of Windows? Ver 2.2 seems almost wrong somehow or a non
MS one.

>Socket -1 created
>WSAAsyncSelect() error:10038

Long version / description
http://www.sockets.com/err_lst1.htm
going by the Winsock functions listes, it does seem like a patch/service
pack file is out of date.

You could try removing all networking components, TCP/IP etc and NIC
drivers then reinstall, taking notes of important settings first.
<snip>

The version above, with one from where?
MS DLL version check.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...p&SD=MSDN&FR=0
or same but shorter URL http://tinyurl.com/4lyn

<snip>
Me

Fidcal

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:35:17 GMT, why?

>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:57:28 +0100, Fidcal wrote:
>>Help! Socket error! What do I do? Apart from panic that is?
>>I just re-partitioned my hard drive and all seemed OK until I

><snip>
>Service Packs / Updates / application patch could be any of these or
>more.
>>Started up Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 28 1998,
>>at 19:33:24.

>1998, what ver of Windows? Ver 2.2 seems almost wrong somehow or a non
>MS one.

It's 4.10.1998, the first edition. Been working fine for years.
I'm using it now for this connection. Thank God I had another
Win98 install on another partition just for games. At least I
got the modem installed and got usenet at least!

I'll try out your ideas and links when I get a browser
installed. Many thanks.

>>Socket -1 created
>>WSAAsyncSelect() error:10038

>Long version / description
>http://www.sockets.com/err_lst1.htm
>going by the Winsock functions listes, it does seem like a patch/service
>pack file is out of date.
>
>You could try removing all networking components, TCP/IP etc and NIC
>drivers then reinstall, taking notes of important settings first.
><snip>
>
>The version above, with one from where?
>MS DLL version check.
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...p&SD=MSDN&FR=0
>or same but shorter URL http://tinyurl.com/4lyn
>
><snip>
>Me

Fidcal

Well, I had the silly notion that Internet Explorer took a while
to set up but since I'd already manually configured Dial Up
Networking and used the default V4 IE it was almost ready to go.

Following these links this seems to be the error but the
solution given is not helpful. Any more ideas? Meanwhile, now
I've got a browser I'll continue searching the WWW.

WINSOCK Error: Socket operation on non-socket.

Explanation:
The socket input parameter is not a valid socket handle: either
it never was valid; or it is a file handle (not a socket
handle); or, if it was a socket handle, it has been closed.

User Action:
Developer suggestions: Use socket state in an application or
handle this error as a non-fatal error. [Duh?]

°Mike°

Default v4 IE? What operating system are you using?

Have you tried removing/re-installing your networking components?

How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP-IP Files
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;181599

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:12:54 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fidcal scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

°Mike°

Oh well, I'm glad it's sorted, and you're welcome.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:33:47 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fidcal scrawled:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:12:54 +0100, Fidcal wrote:

>Well, I had the silly notion that Internet Explorer took a while
>to set up but since I'd already manually configured Dial Up
>Networking and used the default V4 IE it was almost ready to go.

That may be it, the DUN / Service pack or other patch overwrote a DLL IE
was using and an equally old part of IE4 called a function in the
old/newer wsock32.dll? Do you have IE5.x on a CD you can up grade to?

Which browser? , Maybe try MSIE5.5 SP2 www.evolt.org

>WINSOCK Error: Socket operation on non-socket.

<snip>
>User Action:
>Developer suggestions: Use socket state in an application or
>handle this error as a non-fatal error. [Duh?]

Getting a bit deep here, socket programming. Basically the developer bit
says manage the socket state (opening/closing a connection) or use an
error handler to show a non-fatal message.

There is a utility depends.exe (dependency walker) that may have only
been in the NT resource kits, but this may be handy in another form.
Basically it's a dll/ocx viewer info list. You select a DLL and it shows
what other DLLs it needs.

So wsock32.dll gives these requirements, on Win NT4 SP6 (more info is
given, incl versions / dates)

ADVAPI32.DLL
GDI32.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
MSVCRT.DLL
NTDLL.DLL
RPCRT4.DLL
USER32.DLL
WS2HELP.DLL
WS2_32.DLL
WSOCK32.DLL

It may also be that you simply need to d/l the MS Visual C++ Runtimes
from MS or here
http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyond...me.html#MSVCRT

Even better the utility is here
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Me

Fidcal

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:01:02 GMT, why?

>On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:12:54 +0100, Fidcal wrote:
>
>>Well, I had the silly notion that Internet Explorer took a while
>>to set up but since I'd already manually configured Dial Up
>>Networking and used the default V4 IE it was almost ready to go.

>That may be it, the DUN / Service pack or other patch overwrote a DLL IE
>was using and an equally old part of IE4 called a function in the
>old/newer wsock32.dll? Do you have IE5.x on a CD you can up grade to?
>
>>Following these links this seems to be the error but the
>>solution given is not helpful. Any more ideas? Meanwhile, now
>>I've got a browser I'll continue searching the WWW.

>Which browser? , Maybe try MSIE5.5 SP2 www.evolt.org
>
>>WINSOCK Error: Socket operation on non-socket.
>>

><snip>
>>User Action:
>>Developer suggestions: Use socket state in an application or
>>handle this error as a non-fatal error. [Duh?]

>Getting a bit deep here, socket programming. Basically the developer bit
>says manage the socket state (opening/closing a connection) or use an
>error handler to show a non-fatal message.
>
>There is a utility depends.exe (dependency walker) that may have only
>been in the NT resource kits, but this may be handy in another form.
>Basically it's a dll/ocx viewer info list. You select a DLL and it shows
>what other DLLs it needs.
>
>So wsock32.dll gives these requirements, on Win NT4 SP6 (more info is
>given, incl versions / dates)
>
>ADVAPI32.DLL
>GDI32.DLL
>KERNEL32.DLL
>MSVCRT.DLL
>NTDLL.DLL
>RPCRT4.DLL
>USER32.DLL
>WS2HELP.DLL
>WS2_32.DLL
>WSOCK32.DLL
>
> It may also be that you simply need to d/l the MS Visual C++ Runtimes
>from MS or here
>http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyond...me.html#MSVCRT
>
>Even better the utility is here
>http://www.dependencywalker.com/
>
>Me

Thanks for this input why? but I've now restored my complete
Windows backup and more or less abandoned trying to understand
why the problem happened. I did compare the two Windows folder
trees (bad and restored backup) but could not see any relevant
discrepancies that made any sense. I found an overload of info
about winsock errors on the net which just overwhelms even a
moderately computer-literate person like myself!

why?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:34:28 +0100, Fidcal wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:01:02 GMT, why?
>

>>On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:12:54 +0100, Fidcal wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I had the silly notion that Internet Explorer took a while
>>>to set up but since I'd already manually configured Dial Up
>>>Networking and used the default V4 IE it was almost ready to go.

>>That may be it, the DUN / Service pack or other patch overwrote a DLL IE

<snip>

>> It may also be that you simply need to d/l the MS Visual C++ Runtimes
>>from MS or here
>>http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyond...me.html#MSVCRT
>>
>>Even better the utility is here
>>http://www.dependencywalker.com/
>>
>>Me

>Thanks for this input why? but I've now restored my complete

You're Welcome.
>Windows backup and more or less abandoned trying to understand

Fine, that's more often the important bit.
<snip>
>discrepancies that made any sense. I found an overload of info
>about winsock errors on the net which just overwhelms even a
>moderately computer-literate person like myself!

I know what you mean

Me