Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is my computer cooked??

Is my computer cooked??

He who doth Slump a lot

"Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
intro and listened as Mcploppy said

> Here's a wee thought.... You pull your PC out ... take all the cables
> out, untangle them lay them out neatly, plug them back in, put your
> pc back, all cables lie neatly and not tangeled.....
>
> 6 months go by.....
>
> You pull your PC out ....all cable are tangled in a horrible mess....

Yes!! Every time!! But my desk is a right mess....

> Why does this happen

Something to do with odd socks and disappearing smokeables...
--
slumpy
no more

Mcploppy

:: Something to do with odd socks and disappearing smokeables...

I have never found an odd sock behind my pc (well not yet only been doing
this for about 9 years) so that means I have probably pulled the pc out 18
times.... I'm sure I dont have that many odd socks..... Is that really where
they go......

<He who doth Slump a lot> typed:
:: "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
:: intro and listened as Mcploppy said
::
::: Here's a wee thought.... You pull your PC out ... take all the cables
::: out, untangle them lay them out neatly, plug them back in, put your
::: pc back, all cables lie neatly and not tangeled.....
:::
::: 6 months go by.....
:::
::: You pull your PC out ....all cable are tangled in a horrible mess....
::
:: Yes!! Every time!! But my desk is a right mess....
::
::: Why does this happen
::
:: Something to do with odd socks and disappearing smokeables...
:: --
:: slumpy
:: no more
:: no less
:: just slumpy

He who doth Slump a lot

"Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
intro and listened as Mcploppy said

>>> Something to do with odd socks and disappearing smokeables...

> I have never found an odd sock behind my pc (well not yet only been
> doing this for about 9 years) so that means I have probably pulled
> the pc out 18 times.... I'm sure I dont have that many odd socks.....
> Is that really where they go......

No idea. All I know is I spend a fortune on socks and end up with so many
odd ones, something *must* be going on.
There's an alternative existance where odd socks search for their partners
for all eternity...
--
slumpy
no more

Meat-->Plow

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:56:39 -0700, "Ron&Joyce" <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

>Put new carpet in the house so had to move the computer. Rather than unplug
>all the connections I just unplugged it from the wall and phone line and
>moved the whole desk. When we moved it back and plugged it in sparks flew
>out of the computer and shut down. We used a surge protector so I cant
>figure out what went wrong. Is there anything I can do to get it working
>again as it is my wife's computer. I am in hope someone tells me it is just
>a fuse or some thing like that.
>All of our vacation pictures are on it and we did not have time to back them
>up.
>
>thank for the time.

Might just be the power supply.

Buffalo

Probably just the power supply.
Static electricity built up in your PC would have been dissipated as soon as
you put the power supply cord back in (at least if you are using a grounded
outlet).
I believe your HDD survived. You can always remove it , change its jumpers
to Slave, and put it in another machine to check it out.
I would take the cover off (machine unplugged) and see if I could see or
smell anything where the 'sparking' occurred.
It's possible that something jarred loose during the moving of the
equipment.

"Ron&Joyce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Put new carpet in the house so had to move the computer. Rather than

unplug
> all the connections I just unplugged it from the wall and phone line and
> moved the whole desk. When we moved it back and plugged it in sparks flew
> out of the computer and shut down. We used a surge protector so I cant
> figure out what went wrong. Is there anything I can do to get it working
> again as it is my wife's computer. I am in hope someone tells me it is

just
> a fuse or some thing like that.
> All of our vacation pictures are on it and we did not have time to back

them
> up.
>
> thank for the time.

boy wonder

One message generated 16 replies in one afternoon. Why can't job hunting be
like that?

--
Tommy McClure
remove "NOSPAM" before replying