Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Messenger Service

Messenger Service

JOHN

Will someone please tell me how to get rid of this menace and I will be very
grateful indeed.

John

°Mike°

<Canned response>

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service uses
ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

Right click on 'My Computer', select 'Manage' ... 'Services
and Applications', double click 'services', double click
'messenger' and press 'Stop' / Apply / OK.

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q330904

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q302089

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:00:13 +0100, in
<bd4jqd$ua0$(E-Mail Removed)>
JOHN scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Thund3rstruck mused:

| Scroll down to messenger, right click on it, left click on
| properties, then change "Automatic" to "Manual". (This stops it for
| good) Click "Stop" to stop it for the remainder of your login session.

Actually, it only stops it until something makes a call to start it
again. Selecting "Disable" instead of "Manual" will stop it for good.

Richard

"JOHN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd4jqd$ua0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will someone please tell me how to get rid of this menace and I will be

very
> grateful indeed.
>
> John

No problem. C:\program files\Messenger.
Right click on the folder and select rename.
I renamed mine to "no-messenger".
If I ever want to use the damn thing all I have to do is to rename it the
right way.
Renaming causes the EXE file to be bypassed because it can't be found.
Since messenger is an option, OE or what ever, assumes you have the option
to activate the program turned off.

Richard

"mhicaoidh" <(E-Mail Removed)ïX.com.SPäM> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, Thund3rstruck mused:
> |
> | Scroll down to messenger, right click on it, left click on
> | properties, then change "Automatic" to "Manual". (This stops it for
> | good) Click "Stop" to stop it for the remainder of your login session.
>
> Actually, it only stops it until something makes a call to start it
> again. Selecting "Disable" instead of "Manual" will stop it for good.

Rename the actual folder and you're guaranteed to never be bothered again.

Thund3rstruck

mhicaoidh rambled on about something in
<H4lJa.60562$vq.11902@sccrnsc04>:

> Taking a moment's reflection, Thund3rstruck mused:
> |
> | Scroll down to messenger, right click on it, left click on
> | properties, then change "Automatic" to "Manual". (This stops it
> | for good) Click "Stop" to stop it for the remainder of your login
> | session.
>
> Actually, it only stops it until something makes a call to start
> it
> again. Selecting "Disable" instead of "Manual" will stop it for
> good.

Point well taken.

NOI

Jimchip

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:37:19 -0500, Richard wrote:

> Rename the actual folder and you're guaranteed to never be bothered again.

Typical of St00pid's advice- 'Rename the file or folder' instead of doing it
right and telling the OS to turn it off. At least Rts didn't continue with
"and search the registry for all instances and delete them".

Troll-o-meter: "Richard" = Richard Bullis; Category = Kook
-----------------------
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
-----------------------
/\

Don't listen to "Richard". If there is ever any truth to what
he says it is for the same reason a broken clock is correct twice a day.

An example of Richard Bullis' technical knowledge:
"Ho hum. another loudmouth wise ass.
first of all buddy boy, newsgroups are not attached to the internet.
they are two seperate entities.
as a matter of fact, the newsgroups were on line before the internet
was."

A recent reply to Richard Bullis:
"I really hate to say this, but Bullis....you are an absolute idiot. I
am in awe at your complete lack of comprehension ability, and your utter
ignorance."

---*For More Information On NetKook Richard Bullis*---
http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/
http://www.cabal.net/cenkoc/index1.html

(lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

Thund3rstruck

Richard rambled on about something in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Rename the actual folder and you're guaranteed to never be bothered
> again.

OK. Let me get this straight.

You want him to rename c:\winnt\system32 to something else? Doing
so would really raise a lot of 'Computer Hell', especially when
almost everything quit working.

****, Debbie from ACS knows more about how computers work, than you
appear...and she's wrong 99% of the time!

NOI

--

There must be wonderful paintings on the walls of his ass, for his
head to be stuck up there for so long...!

<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "JOHN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bd4jqd$ua0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will someone please tell me how to get rid of this menace and I
>> will be

> very
>> grateful indeed.
>>
>> John
>>

> No problem. C:\program files\Messenger.
> Right click on the folder and select rename.
> I renamed mine to "no-messenger".
> If I ever want to use the damn thing all I have to do is to rename
> it the right way.
> Renaming causes the EXE file to be bypassed because it can't be
> found. Since messenger is an option, OE or what ever, assumes you
> have the option to activate the program turned off.

Wrong messenger. He is not talking about MSNIM. He's talking about
the Windows Service Messenger. They are two totally different
programs.

NOI

--

There must be wonderful paintings on the walls of his ass, for his
head to be stuck up there for so long...!
- William Poaster in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Meat-->Plow

Don't listen to Richard. He's a ****ing idiot.