Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Surely This Cannot Be Correct

Re: Surely This Cannot Be Correct

Prof

Machines like Packard Bell that come with proprietary versions of Windows
will use the identity of the cdrom drive to make sure it is being installed
on the right machine, sometimes there will be a reference to Oak
Technologies identifying the drive as was the case with an NEC I had that
had a restore disk but for some strange reason even though it gave the
error
message it might continue to with the install on another machine.

"ToGrok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Z9%Ia.744$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I would look in the folders on the disk for a Win98 or Win9x folder and
> install from there. If your friend is trying to install from the root
> directory they would get that error.
>
> "Steve Pounder" <stevepounder@.FIREPERSON.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

message
> news:l__Ia.1209$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I lent my Win 98 se disks to the bloke next door, this so he could load

> them
> > onto his computer.
> > On the front of the manual is the loco - 'For distribution with a new
> > Packard Bell / NEC PC only'.
> > The disks came with my then new but aging Packard Bell.
> >
> > The disks will not work on his machine, he is being told that they will

> only
> > work on a Packard Bell.
> >
> > Surely this cannot be right.
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Steve

UKALUM85

You can do it, but you will have to make a custom autoexec file to do it.
If you are running from a cd you will have to use a floppy disk to start the
computer and point it to the setup.exe on the cd or autorun.exe to install
it.

"Prof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd37i4$cqk8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Machines like Packard Bell that come with proprietary versions of Windows
> will use the identity of the cdrom drive to make sure it is being

installed
> on the right machine, sometimes there will be a reference to Oak
> Technologies identifying the drive as was the case with an NEC I had that
> had a restore disk but for some strange reason even though it gave the
> error
> message it might continue to with the install on another machine.

Steve Pounder

"Prof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bd37i4$cqk8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Machines like Packard Bell that come with proprietary versions of Windows
> will use the identity of the cdrom drive to make sure it is being

installed
> on the right machine, sometimes there will be a reference to Oak
> Technologies identifying the drive as was the case with an NEC I had that
> had a restore disk but for some strange reason even though it gave the
> error
> message it might continue to with the install on another machine.

Thanks

> "ToGrok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Z9%Ia.744$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I would look in the folders on the disk for a Win98 or Win9x folder and
> > install from there. If your friend is trying to install from the root
> > directory they would get that error.
> >
> > "Steve Pounder" <stevepounder@.FIREPERSON.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> message
> > news:l__Ia.1209$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I lent my Win 98 se disks to the bloke next door, this so he could

load
> > them
> > > onto his computer.
> > > On the front of the manual is the loco - 'For distribution with a new
> > > Packard Bell / NEC PC only'.
> > > The disks came with my then new but aging Packard Bell.
> > >
> > > The disks will not work on his machine, he is being told that they

will
> > only
> > > work on a Packard Bell.
> > >
> > > Surely this cannot be right.
> > > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > >
> > > Steve

Steve Pounder

"UKALUM85" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> You can do it, but you will have to make a custom autoexec file to do it.
> If you are running from a cd you will have to use a floppy disk to start

the
> computer and point it to the setup.exe on the cd or autorun.exe to install
> it.

Thanks.

When the time comes I will go for that.
5 years & no format.
Have to respect Packard Bell for that I suppose.