Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: What am I doing wrong with AdAware?

Re: What am I doing wrong with AdAware?

MaryL

"MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just uninstalled the older version of AdAware (I think it was v. 5.83)

and
> downoaded and installed v.6.

.. Of great importance: now I am
> getting lots of pop-up ads, which the older version prevented.
>

> Thanks,
> MaryL

Thanks, everyone. I have now tried all your suggestions (installed SpyBot,
Spyware Blaster, and AdAware -- and downloaded updates for each). I already
had a Netgear firewall router connected to my computer because I have cable
connection. I also scanned with both SpyBot (and immunized) and AdAware.
Nevertheless, I now get lots of pop-up ads -- something that began only
after I uninstalled the old version of AdAware.

For an example of what I am seeing, please check this:
Cnn.com>sports>golfonline>then click on "full hole-by-hole leaderboard"
under the Buick Classic leaderboard. When you first go to golfonline, you
will see some "action" pop-ups; when you go to the longer leaderboard, you
should immediately see a pop-up ad from Microsoft. At least, that's what is
happening to me! (I have unfortunately lost the name of a program that was
recommended to deal with the Macromedia type of pop-ups -- something like
"proximotrin?" and still need to do a search for that.)

Any suggestiosn?

Thanks,
MaryL

MM3NDH

You want to block popups?
www.crazybrowser.com

Enjoy!

Nathan D Higgins

"MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just uninstalled the older version of AdAware (I think it was v. 5.83)

> and
> > downoaded and installed v.6.

> . Of great importance: now I am
> > getting lots of pop-up ads, which the older version prevented.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > MaryL
> >

> Thanks, everyone. I have now tried all your suggestions (installed

SpyBot,
> Spyware Blaster, and AdAware -- and downloaded updates for each). I

already
> had a Netgear firewall router connected to my computer because I have

cable
> connection. I also scanned with both SpyBot (and immunized) and AdAware.
> Nevertheless, I now get lots of pop-up ads -- something that began only
> after I uninstalled the old version of AdAware.
>
> For an example of what I am seeing, please check this:
> Cnn.com>sports>golfonline>then click on "full hole-by-hole leaderboard"
> under the Buick Classic leaderboard. When you first go to golfonline, you
> will see some "action" pop-ups; when you go to the longer leaderboard, you
> should immediately see a pop-up ad from Microsoft. At least, that's what

is
> happening to me! (I have unfortunately lost the name of a program that

was
> recommended to deal with the Macromedia type of pop-ups -- something like
> "proximotrin?" and still need to do a search for that.)
>
> Any suggestiosn?
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

░Mike░

Proxomitron
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:59:32 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
MaryL scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

MaryL

"mhicaoidh" <(E-Mail Removed)´X.com.SPńM> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, MaryL mused:
> |
> | For an example of what I am seeing, please check this:
> | Cnn.com>sports>golfonline>then click on "full hole-by-hole leaderboard"
> | under the Buick Classic leaderboard.
>
> Didn't see any popups at all. Using AdShield for Internet Explorer.
> www.adshield.org Have a look. You can go to their forums to download
> pre-configured block lists, or start your own from scratch.

Yes, I finally realized that I was confusing spyware detectors with pop-up
ads. It was coincidence that the problem resurfaced with I uninstalled
AdAware. I have been using Panicware Pop-up Stopper (and somehow disabled
it when I installed the new version of AdAware).

The link you provided looks very good. Pop-up Stopper does not deal with
those annoying Macromedia ads, and I see that Adshield can control them.
Thanks for the tip.

MaryL

He who doth Slump a lot

"Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
intro and listened as MaryL said

> Thanks. My brain must be operating in low gear today. I finally
> realized that I was expecting spyware detectors to stop pop-up ads.
> It was apparently a coincidence that the ads appeared when I
> uninstalled AdAware. So I retraced my steps and discovered that my
> Pop-up Stopper (Panicware) was disabled. It is now re-enabled!

If you were a guy you'd deserve a slap in a dark alley for that
You still deserve one but you get away with just a black mark...
--
slumpy
no more

MaryL

"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Proxomitron
> http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html

Great! That's one of the programs I have been wanting to try.

MaryL

░Mike░

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:42:25 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
MaryL scrawled:

>"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Proxomitron
>> http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html
>>

>Great! That's one of the programs I have been wanting to try.
>
>MaryL

You should also check out JD's config sets:
http://www.jd5000.net/

Makes life much more simple to have it pre-configured.

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Jimchip

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:22:08 -0500, Mara wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:10:43 GMT, mhicaoidh wrote:
>
>>Taking a moment's reflection, MaryL mused:
>>|
>>| The link you provided looks very good. Pop-up Stopper does not deal with
>>| those annoying Macromedia ads, and I see that Adshield can control them.
>>| Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> I've been very impressed with AdShield. What does get through, you can
>>add to the block list ... on occasion, I have run into a few popups that
>>AdShield couldn't block. A post in the forums, and the next version
>>(relatively quickly released too) blocked them. Very impressed, indeed.
>>The only draw back I can see with AdShield is that it only works with IE.

> That's why I run Mozilla instead of IE. One of the reasons, anyway.
>
> "No popups. And the setting is built right into the browser - no need for a
> separate program."

Also, Popup Manager, Cookie Manager, etc in the tools menu. Popups and
cookies can be enabled for specific sites. In addition to the built-in
tabbed browsing.

(lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:42:25 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> MaryL scrawled:
>

> >"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Proxomitron
> >> http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html
> >>

> >Great! That's one of the programs I have been wanting to try.
> >
> >MaryL

> You should also check out JD's config sets:
> http://www.jd5000.net/
>
> Makes life much more simple to have it pre-configured.
>
> --
> STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Looks very helpful. Thanks.

MaryL