Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Small, non-validating XML parser/walker/reader?

Small, non-validating XML parser/walker/reader?

rpseguin@gmail.com

Ok.
I've looked at expat, libxml, ...
Too much baggage!

I would like to find a small XML walker/"parser"/reader that simply
gives me callbacks (C++ or C). No validation needed or wanted.
I would prefer some open sourced, portable thing (Linux, OS/X, Windows,
POSIX), with at most a couple of files and with no external
dependencies. Anything beyond that, and I'm going to write my own.
I'm trying to make a small tool with as few external dependencies as
possible.

One of my gripes about a lot of open source stuff these days (I must be
getting crochety is the creep of dependencies. Oh, you want to use
A, well you also need to get B, C and D, but B also needs E and F, ...

Thanks!

Vladimir S. Oka

> Ok.
> I've looked at expat, libxml, ...
> Too much baggage!
>
> I would like to find a small XML walker/"parser"/reader that simply

<snip off topic rant>

Your question is off-topic here (in c.l.c).

If it wasn't: GYIF.

--
BR, Vladimir

You can fool some of the people all of the time,
and all of the people some of the time,
but you can make a fool of yourself anytime.

Roland Pibinger

On 6 Mar 2006 10:29:19 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>I would like to find a small XML walker/"parser"/reader that simply
>gives me callbacks (C++ or C). No validation needed or wanted.

Don't know what you mean exactly (SAX-like or DOM-like?) but maybe
TinyXml ( http://www.grinninglizard.com/tinyxml/ ) is the right thing
for you.

Best wishes,
Roland Pibinger

Ben Pope

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Ok.
> I've looked at expat, libxml, ...
> Too much baggage!
>
> I would like to find a small XML walker/"parser"/reader that simply
> gives me callbacks (C++ or C). No validation needed or wanted.
> I would prefer some open sourced, portable thing (Linux, OS/X, Windows,
> POSIX), with at most a couple of files and with no external
> dependencies. Anything beyond that, and I'm going to write my own.
> I'm trying to make a small tool with as few external dependencies as
> possible.

I've started using XiMoL, it's not event based, it's based around
streams. I've created a patch which makes it compile with VC8 (a bug in
VC.

Ben Pope

Michael Sweet

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Ok.
> I've looked at expat, libxml, ...
> Too much baggage!

Mini-XML:

http://www.easysw.com/~mike/mxml/

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products mike at easysw dot com
Internet Printing and Publishing Software http://www.easysw.com

Imre Palik

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> Ok.
> I've looked at expat, libxml, ...
> Too much baggage!
>
> I would like to find a small XML walker/"parser"/reader that simply
> gives me callbacks (C++ or C). No validation needed or wanted.
> I would prefer some open sourced, portable thing (Linux, OS/X, Windows,
> POSIX), with at most a couple of files and with no external
> dependencies. Anything beyond that, and I'm going to write my own.
> I'm trying to make a small tool with as few external dependencies as
> possible.

Here is a basic one:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yaxp

It needs some POSIX libs, so I am not sure about its portability to
windows. I successfuly used it on Solaris (with Forte 6.2 and gcc), and on
Linux. If you need something that it doesn't know, then please let me know
about it.

ImRe

Karl Waclawek

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Ok.
> I've looked at expat, libxml, ...
> Too much baggage!
>
> I would like to find a small XML walker/"parser"/reader that simply
> gives me callbacks (C++ or C). No validation needed or wanted.
> I would prefer some open sourced, portable thing (Linux, OS/X, Windows,
> POSIX), with at most a couple of files and with no external
> dependencies.

What external dependencies are the problem with Expat?

Karl