Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XHTML2.0

XHTML2.0

guitar.is.good@gmail.com

Hi,

I have done a fair bit of personal web design in XHTML 1.0/1.1 strict
and am very curious about XHTML2.0.

I have a couple quick questions I hope some people may be able to
answer for me as I am strugelling to find answers elsewhere.

To my understanding it is still in draft, but is it actually in use? I
found one page, but it was not properly done.

Ultimately I want to design a simple XHTML2.0 webpage for a LAN running
on the current apache2 webserver. But I can not figure out how to code
an XHTML2.0 page. The actual content seems fairly standard, but the
doctypes etc I can not get to validate on the w3c validator. It
especially gives my gumpf about mime types, but I dont know haw to
solve it (I read xhtml2.0 needs an special xml type mime type)

So far I have:

"http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml2.dtd">

<head>
<title>Tester Page</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./css/default.css" />
</head>
<section>
<h>Test Page</h>
</section>

I read in wiki I think that something like this also needs to be done,
not sure tho.

xmlnssi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2/
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml2.xsd">

Is it feasable to code a website in XHTML2.0, ignoring compatability
issues (I heard mozilla firefox is the only browser compatible, this is
only some localhost type webpage)

Something I really like the look of in XHTML2.0 is the section + h
elements and the ability to put link / href attributes in any element,
makes much more sense!

Thanks for any help.

David Dorward

> I have done a fair bit of personal web design in XHTML 1.0/1.1 strict

Quite useful for authoring content in, but not all that suitable for use on
the WWW (the handwaving of Appendix C for XHTML 1.0 is silly at best (and
depends on bugs in HTML 4 user agents), and doesn't apply to 1.1 at all)

> and am very curious about XHTML2.0.

> To my understanding it is still in draft, but is it actually in use?

I seem to recall one person experimenting with it and transforming it with
client side XSLT. It really is not something you should be using on the WWW
at the moment.

> Ultimately I want to design a simple XHTML2.0 webpage for a LAN running
> on the current apache2 webserver. But I can not figure out how to code
> an XHTML2.0 page.

XHTML 2.0 is still subject to change. It isn't supported, AFAIK, by any user
agent except as generic XML.

> The actual content seems fairly standard, but the
> doctypes etc I can not get to validate on the w3c validator.

From the latest draft:

This version includes an early implementation of XHTML 2.0 in RELAX NG
[RELAXNG], but does not include the implementations in DTD or XML
Schema form.

So any DTD you might find is out of date.

> It especially gives my gumpf about mime types, but I dont know haw to
> solve it (I read xhtml2.0 needs an special xml type mime type)

I believe that you use the regular XHTML content type, with a parameter
specifying a version. I don't think the syntax of that parameter has been
defined yet (other then being in the standard form for HTTP).

> Is it feasable to code a website in XHTML2.0

No.

> , ignoring compatability issues (I heard mozilla firefox is the only
> browser compatible

I'm pretty sure it isn't.

> Something I really like the look of in XHTML2.0 is the section + h
> elements and the ability to put link / href attributes in any element,
> makes much more sense!

It is nice syntax for authoring, client support is absent at present. Treat
some draft of XHTML 2.0 (or a subset of same) as a custom XML format. Write
your own schema. Transform it to HTML 4.01 before serving to to clients.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

guitar.is.good@gmail.com

Thanks for your reply, it seems you have confirmed my suspisions

Thanks again

CyberVerse CyberVerse is offline
Junior Member

I have seen post before and I know it is old, but afterwards during my search on the web last year I found this Article on the XHTML2.dtd. However, a return to find it has lead me here again and this time I am going to provide my findings. Hope this helps those who want an XHTML2.dtd.

At VelocityReviews.com the author, KEITH, posted this article on XHTML2.DTD and has provided a DTD for download. I hope this is helpful. The W3C xhtml2.dtd is lacking/not complete.

Here is the Article on the XHTML2.DTD and the Download Link for the XHTML2.dtd download provided by the author.

Article
http://zooplah.farvista.net/b2e/en.p...html-2-0-dtd-1

XHTML2.DTD Download
http://zooplah.farvista.net/en/archive/DTD/xhtml2.dtd

Cheers,
Les (AppleDumplingGang│facebook)

Last edited by CyberVerse; 05-27-2012 at 08:27 PM..