Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML: Generic entry program ?

XML: Generic entry program ?

Timothy Murphy

I'm looking for a generic program,
preferably in Java (but that is not essential)
which will enable me to enter data into an XML "database".
My hope would be that the program might create a suitable window
based on the DTD, with boxes for entry of the different items.
Hopefully, it would be relatively easy to modify the layout
to suit the particular case.

As concrete examples, the data might be an address-book,
or a library catalogue.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Peter Flynn

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm looking for a generic program,
> preferably in Java (but that is not essential)
> which will enable me to enter data into an XML "database".
> My hope would be that the program might create a suitable window
> based on the DTD, with boxes for entry of the different items.
> Hopefully, it would be relatively easy to modify the layout
> to suit the particular case.
>
> As concrete examples, the data might be an address-book,
> or a library catalogue.
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

There was a neat but curious little SGML editor called InContext
which used to do just this, but for Windows only.

Microsoft's InfoPath does it similarly, but that ain't Java, and
it only uses W3C Schemas.

I haven't seen exactly anything that does what you describe recently
(but then I haven't been looking), although I believe some of the
more advanced editor APIs let you do a box-view data entry window.

///Peter