Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Tell nsgmls where to find a schema

Tell nsgmls where to find a schema

ali100

Apologies for the basic (!) nature of this question but I just
have not been able to find an answer to my problem after several
googling sessions.

I want to use nsglms to parse an xml file against a public schema
but I cannot seem to get the parser to read the schema on my local
system.

When parsing against a DTD I always have a line in the individual
xml files something like

<!DOCTYPE production SYSTEM "c:\LocalPath\my.dtd">

Trying something similar for the schema, i.e.,

<...xsi:schemaLocation="c:\LocalPath\my.xsd">

does not work and nsgmls reports the error

nsgmls:... no document type declaration; will parse without
validation

My nsglms command line is

nsgmls -E0 -w xml -c\LocalPath\xml.soc -s -f errors.out
myfile.xml

Maybe I need something else on the command line?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Johannes Koch

ali100 wrote:

> I want to use nsglms to parse an xml file against a public schema
> but I cannot seem to get the parser to read the schema on my local
> system.

nsgmls does not do validation against W3C XMLSchema. And it's not very
good at parsing XML in general.
--
Johannes Koch
(Te Deum, 4th cent.)

ali100

aah... no wonder I was having problems.

Can you/anyone recommend a stand alone parser that will perform the
task I described?

Or will I need something like xerces (which looks far more involved in
setting up and getting to run from the command line)

I am on a win XP machine.

Thanks for any help.

Johannes Koch

ali100 wrote:

> Can you/anyone recommend a stand alone parser that will perform the
> task I described?
>
> Or will I need something like xerces (which looks far more involved in
> setting up and getting to run from the command line)

I use Xerces in my applications. But other people use different tools.
Henry S. Thompson seems to use XSV.
--
Johannes Koch
(Te Deum, 4th cent.)

Henry S. Thompson

The public W3C XML Schema home page [1] has an extensive listing of
tools including validators.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema.html
Half-time member of W3C Team
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

NSGMLS ?? Roedy Green Java 14 01-05-2012 12:56 AM
CAN any one tell it whats the code tell it yogesh C++ 1 03-14-2007 01:12 PM
nsgmls, where does it store the catalog file Steve Kostecke XML 3 06-05-2006 08:09 AM