Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > PDF->XML without FO-fuzz or good stylesheet-editor?

Reply
Thread Tools

PDF->XML without FO-fuzz or good stylesheet-editor?

 
 
dunklervater@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2006
Hello group,
our shop might be faced with producing pdfs from XML soon.
The XML can be counted on to at least well-formed, if not valid.

It seems that the normal way of producing a pdf from XML is normally
either
a. going from XML to FO via XSLT and to PDF via a FOP
b. going from XML to TeX via XSLT and to PDF via TeX/LaTeX
c. doing your own raw pdf from XML

"c." is much too cumbersome for us.
"b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least experience
with TeX

So...

....either we do it the "a" way, but would then need a very good
stylesheet editor,
in which we can visually design the page layout before.

....or there is an easier was I have not thought of (of course we could
be doing it by
automating structured framemaker, but we would like a more generic way
of doing it)

I would be most grateful for any input.
Thanks in advance,
Bye.
FK.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Flynn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello group,
> our shop might be faced with producing pdfs from XML soon.
> The XML can be counted on to at least well-formed, if not valid.
>
> It seems that the normal way of producing a pdf from XML is normally
> either
> a. going from XML to FO via XSLT and to PDF via a FOP
> b. going from XML to TeX via XSLT and to PDF via TeX/LaTeX
> c. doing your own raw pdf from XML
>
> "c." is much too cumbersome for us.
> "b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least experience
> with TeX


There are probably many people who do, though, and it has the
advantage that LaTeX already has a very thorough "understanding"
of what a document is and how to create one: a huge amount of the
formatting requirements can be automated using this method.

> So...
>
> ...either we do it the "a" way, but would then need a very good
> stylesheet editor, in which we can visually design the page layout before.


Are you having a designer design the page layout or is this DIY?

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> our shop might be faced with producing pdfs from XML soon.
> The XML can be counted on to at least well-formed, if not valid.
>
> It seems that the normal way of producing a pdf from XML is
> normally either
> a. going from XML to FO via XSLT and to PDF via a FOP
> b. going from XML to TeX via XSLT and to PDF via TeX/LaTeX
> c. doing your own raw pdf from XML
>
> "c." is much too cumbersome for us.
> "b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least
> experience with TeX


Another option to consider is XML+CSS. YesLogic's Prince product is
probably the best out there for advanced CSS 2.1 support.

http://www.princexml.com/

(I see Prince passes the Acid2 test.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
dunklervater@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006

Peter Flynn wrote:

> > "c." is much too cumbersome for us.
> > "b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least experience
> > with TeX

>
> There are probably many people who do, though, and it has the
> advantage that LaTeX already has a very thorough "understanding"
> of what a document is and how to create one: a huge amount of the
> formatting requirements can be automated using this method.


This might be so, but it is so much terra incognita for us.

> > So...
> >
> > ...either we do it the "a" way, but would then need a very good
> > stylesheet editor, in which we can visually design the page layout before.

>
> Are you having a designer design the page layout or is this DIY?

Either we ourselves or together with the client. Thing is, in any case
we would
either have to mimick a certain layout very closely or have the freedom
to easily do any layout.

Thanks for the answer.
Cheers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to get a frame without titlebar and without any controls ontitlebar tanveer.sjce@gmail.com Java 2 02-16-2008 03:11 AM
PythonWin: any way to delete all objects without exiting and without doing it with "del"? dananrg@yahoo.com Python 5 03-03-2006 05:12 PM
How to store session ID without cookies and without "Cookieless=True" Paul W ASP .Net 4 06-02-2005 09:34 AM
How to allocate mem without using malloc() & free without using free() Rajshekhar C Programming 5 03-29-2005 06:03 PM
open a new window without javascript and without hyperlink Dan ASP .Net 8 11-24-2004 08:10 AM



Advertisments