Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > searching xsd for certain types

searching xsd for certain types

vissuyk@yahoo.com

Hi,

I am new to xsd, any help is greatly appreciated. I will have
customers define xsd. In there they will designate an attribute to be
of certian type (e.g some:transid). When I see this in the xsd I have
to create that attribute (if not already exists) and assign transaction
id.

XSD look something like :
-------------------------------------
<xs:schema xmlnss="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns:some="http://xmlns.something.com/something"
elementFormDefault="qualified">
<xs:element name="Item" >
<xs:complexType>
..
<xs:attribute name="transaction_id" type="some:transid"
use="required"/>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

customer defined xml looks like:

<Item name="whatever name">
</Item>

I add this attribute

<Item name="whatever name" transaction_id="12345678">
</Item>

This is a made up example, but convey the point. The problem is I dont
know how to search xsd for attributes of type some:transid. I can have
them set type="some:transid". Customers can declare this at root node
or any sub node. I can parse the DOM tree figuring out each attribute
value of every node to see if there is a type=some:transid. But this
will kill me when the document is large. I am assuming there is a
better way to search xsd for attributes/element of certain type. Any
better ways to do this ?.

Thanks,

Vissu