Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Using system variable in dtd declaration in an xml file

Using system variable in dtd declaration in an xml file

ezmiller

I tried the following but it did not work:

<!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "%XMLNOTESPROJECT%/article_notes.dtd">

where XMLNOTESPROJECT is a system variable with the path of the dtd
file.

Why does this not work?

This is the response I get when trying to view the xml file in
iexplorer:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error
and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

The system cannot locate the resource specified. Error processing
resource '%XMLNOTESPROJECT%article_notes.dtd'. Error pro...

<!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "%XMLNOTESPROJECT%article_notes.dtd">

Johannes Koch

ezmiller wrote:
> I tried the following but it did not work:
>
> <!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "%XMLNOTESPROJECT%/article_notes.dtd">
>
> where XMLNOTESPROJECT is a system variable with the path of the dtd
> file.
>
> Why does this not work?

Because the system identifier has to be a URI.

--
Johannes Koch
Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te, Deus Israel.