Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Scientific Symbols Such as Degree and Squared in XML

Scientific Symbols Such as Degree and Squared in XML

Ayron

Is it possible to have scientific symbols (e.g. degree, squared, cubed,
etc.) in XML docs if the UTF-8 encoding is specified? Is there a
limitation?

Thanks.

-ak

Andreas Prilop

On 9 Nov 2005, Ayron wrote:

> Is it possible to have scientific symbols (e.g. degree, squared, cubed,
> etc.) in XML docs if the UTF-8 encoding is specified?

Yes.

> Is there a limitation?

Symbols of profanity are not allowed in the United States.

--
Netscape 3.04 does everything I need, and it's utterly reliable.
Why should I switch? Peter T. Daniels in <news:sci.lang>

Peter Flynn

Andreas Prilop wrote:

> On 9 Nov 2005, Ayron wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to have scientific symbols (e.g. degree, squared,
>> cubed, etc.) in XML docs if the UTF-8 encoding is specified?

> Yes.
>
>> Is there a limitation?

> Symbols of profanity are not allowed in the United States.

When did they get added to Unicode?

///Peter

Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Andreas Prilop wrote:
>
> > Symbols of profanity are not allowed in the United States.

> When did they get added to Unicode?

SCNR.

Jukka K. Korpela

"Ayron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to have scientific symbols (e.g. degree, squared, cubed,
> etc.) in XML docs if the UTF-8 encoding is specified?

Certainly. UTF-8 is capable of representing all characters defined in Unicode
(and, actually, more - you could use Private Use codepoints for your own
characters, though you most probably don't need that).

In addition, you can use character references, irrespectively of the
encoding. Such as ° or (equivalently) &#b0; for the degree sign.
You don't normally need them, if you can use a UTF-8 capable editor or
another program that can generate UTF-8 encoded XML documents for you.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Johannes Koch

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> In addition, you can use character references, irrespectively of the
> encoding. Such as ° or (equivalently) &#b0; for the degree sign.

The hex number must be prefixed by 'x': &#xb0;
--
Johannes Koch
Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te, Deus Israel.