Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Converting xml docbook to html and pdf

Converting xml docbook to html and pdf

bringmewater@gmail.com

I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
format to the following 2 formats:

multiple html files

single pdf file

Are there any free apps that can do this?
I need to have them create the table of contents and the indexes from
my tags also.
Thanks

Joris Gillis

Tempore 16:40:55, die Friday 16 September 2005 AD, hinc in foro {comp.text.xml} scripsit <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
> format to the following 2 formats:
>
> multiple html files
>
> single pdf file

XSL is an open technology by W3C that is perfectly suited for these tasks.

Search the web for "docbook" and "xsl"

regards,
--
Joris Gillis (http://users.telenet.be/root-jg/me.html)
Gaudiam omnibus traderat W3C, nec vana fides

bringmewater@gmail.com

are there some actual windows xp applications you can point me to
please.

Peter Flynn

> I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
> format to the following 2 formats:
>
> multiple html files
>
> single pdf file
>
> Are there any free apps that can do this?

Yes, lots. See the XML FAQ at http://xml.silmaril.ie/authors/style/

The DocBook project provides XSLT transformations to HTML and PDF, and
I think also to LaTeX to make PDF (alternative).

If you don't like the design of the output you can always write your
own stylesheets.

> I need to have them create the table of contents and the indexes from
> my tags also.

That is automated in the code they supply, I believe.

All you need is a copy of a suitable XSL[T] processor (and a copy
of LaTeX if you prefer that). All are freely available for all platforms.

///Peter

Steve Ball

The DocBook XSL stylesheets provide the means of producing HTML and PDF
(via FO). If you want a Windows Gui application to run the stylesheets
then you could try tkxsltproc from:

http://tclxml.sf.net/tkxsltproc.html

You'll also need something to convert XSL-FO into PDF. FOP
(http://xml.apache.org/fop/) is a freely available formatter for doing
this. I have a small GUI utility for running FOP - contact me if you
are interested.

HTHs,
Steve Ball

DocBook: Pass DocBook-Path to Stylesheet tthunder@gmx.de XML 1 11-27-2007 12:08 AM
[ANN] deplate 0.7.1 - A tool for converting documents written inan unobtrusive, wiki-like markup to LaTeX, HTML, "HTML slides", or DocBook Thomas Ruby 0 03-03-2005 06:36 PM
Transform XML docbook to HTML with docbook stylesheet Antonio Amato XML 2 11-18-2004 05:08 PM
docbook -> pdf? ZJT XML 3 04-19-2004 12:22 AM
DocBook - a few questions regarding PDF, conditional text etc. David Winter XML 1 07-17-2003 07:17 AM

Advertisments