Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Zero-width Spaces!

Zero-width Spaces!

pmgriffin@gmail.com

Hi all,

i'm attempting to overcome the problem of table cell contents
overflowing by inserting zero-width spaces into the content string. The
scheme is working correctly in that i know longer receive overflow
errors. Unfortunately the zero-width spaces are being rendered as
visible white space such that www.urlname.com becomes www. urlname.
com. My xsl try to replace the '.' with '.​' which should give
me the url without the spaces.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? any suggestions as to why
the zero-width spaces are being rendered as visible white space??

any help appreciated!
Regards
Paul.

Andreas Prilop

On 16 Sep 2005 http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

The innocents abroad.

> Unfortunately the zero-width spaces are being rendered as
> visible white space such that www.urlname.com becomes www. urlname.
> com. My xsl try to replace the '.' with '.​' which should give
> me the url without the spaces.
> Has anyone encountered this problem before? any suggestions as to why
> the zero-width spaces are being rendered as visible white space??

Support for the zero-width space in fonts and browsers is poor
at the moment. See the thread
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ze...e.still.unsafe
and also
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html

--
Top-posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?