Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XMLSpy Grid View

XMLSpy Grid View

Jan Mueller

Hi all,

I don't know whether this is the right group, let me know . I tried
to open this XML file (with internal DTD) with XMLSpy 2005. I guess some
of you also use this tool.

http://dret.net/lectures/xml/a/4/wwww.xml

I'm quite new to XML at all, so I wondered about the following. Maybe
someone can tell me whether this is correct or it's an XMLSpy bug:

After opening the file we changed to the grid view and selected

topicmaps->topics->topic

There one can see a few elements and attributes, starting with attribute
"domain". When I scoll to the right, there're two "desc" element
columns in this grid view (but there's only one definied in the DTD). I
couldn't figure out what's the reason. I guess it's a bug in XMLSpy? Or
maybe I'm too stupid?

Thanks!
Jan

Stylus Studio

Hi Jan,

Obviously I'm biased, but try Stylus Studio (
http://www.stylusstudio.com ) - unlike XML Spy which implements a
proprietary XML processor, Stylus Studio is integrated with all of the
industry standard XML processing components, like Apache Xerces, MSXML
3.0, MSXML 4.0, Microsoft System.XML, XSV, Saxon, etc. For more
information, visit: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_parsers.html

If your file is correctly written, rest assured that one of those
processors will handle it. (Conversely, if all of those processors
report an error, you're probably at fault). You can download a free
trial here: http://www.stylusstudio.com/download/

It seems you are doing work with a DTD and grid view, so here are some
relevant pages:

Stylus Studio's DTD Editor: http://www.stylusstudio.com/dtd_editor.html
Stylus Studio's XML Grid View:
http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_grid_view.html

Sincerely,
The Stylus Studio Team
http://www.stylusstudio.com

Jan Mueller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't know whether this is the right group, let me know . I tried
> to open this XML file (with internal DTD) with XMLSpy 2005. I guess some
> of you also use this tool.
>
> http://dret.net/lectures/xml/a/4/wwww.xml
>
> I'm quite new to XML at all, so I wondered about the following. Maybe
> someone can tell me whether this is correct or it's an XMLSpy bug:
>
> After opening the file we changed to the grid view and selected
>
> topicmaps->topics->topic
>
> There one can see a few elements and attributes, starting with attribute
> "domain". When I scoll to the right, there're two "desc" element
> columns in this grid view (but there's only one definied in the DTD). I
> couldn't figure out what's the reason. I guess it's a bug in XMLSpy? Or
> maybe I'm too stupid?
>
> Thanks!
> Jan

Jan Mueller

Hi you Studio,

Where are the international, localised versions? E.g. XMLSpy is
available in english & german, Oxygen is available in multiple languages...

Ok, but you didn't answer my question btw . I guess you makers of
Stylus Studio own an XMLSpy license for comparision reasons, so you
should know XMLSpy quite good and should be able to say whether my
simple question can be answered with a "yes, XMLSpy is buggy" ?!

BTW, I do not own XMLSpy (yet), because as I said I'm a bit new to XML.
Imagine, this would be a big plus for Stylus Studio (correct: all other
XML tools out there) over XMLSpy, because I don't like fundamental bugs
like (potentially) this one in a so-called mature product.

But your tool is mature, isn't it?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Jan