Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Newbie: What XML to use?

Newbie: What XML to use?

rjm12@hotmail.com

Hi All,

I am new to XML, and have a few questions. First here is what I am
trying to do. I have a Debian based Embedded Linux system, which I
would like to use XML config files. These files will be parsed and
action taken. These files are only about 10K large, and I have 16M of
RAM. All coding is done in "C".

1.) Which library should I use, libxml or libxml2? What is the
difference, libxml seems smaller?
2.) DOM or SAX? It seems as if my files are small enough to use DOM.

I have found some "C" examples using DOM, but I am having trouble
finding "C" examples using SAX.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

J??rgen Kahrs

> 1.) Which library should I use, libxml or libxml2? What is the
> difference, libxml seems smaller?

The APIs of both differ. See the doc.
You should at least consider Expat.
But libxml is probably more comfortable if you
have enough memory.

> I have found some "C" examples using DOM, but I am having trouble
> finding "C" examples using SAX.

Expat comes with a few short examples in the SAX style.