Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > external entities, browsers, images

external entities, browsers, images

shawn modersohn

I got,

<!-- Insert GPL copyright notice here -->
<!-- <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="exhibits.css"?> -->
<!DOCTYPE exhibits PUBLIC "-//ShawnModersohn.//DTD
graphicalOpenExchange//EN" "exhibits.dtd">
<!-- Begin exhibit entity declarations -->
<exhibits>
&template;
</exhibits>

exhibits.dtd pulls in parts from an exhibit.dtd. &template is declared
in exhibits.dtd and represents many individual files describing images.

Seeing text output claiming validity is not as satisfying as seeing all
the documents pulled together and displayed in a browser. This will
primarily be a web application front end so I imagine I will go through
an XSL process eventually. But in the meantime, are there any browsers
or projects that display external entities as I am using them.

Also, I am using the html namespace to force the display of the gifs,
pngs, etc. (which works as long as there are no external entities
imported into the document) Is there a better way? Thanks for any help.

Shawn Modersohn

"shawn modersohn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TzWee.2531$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I got,

> <!-- Insert GPL copyright notice here -->
> <!-- <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="exhibits.css"?> -->
> <!DOCTYPE exhibits PUBLIC "-//ShawnModersohn.//DTD
> graphicalOpenExchange//EN" "exhibits.dtd">
> <!-- Begin exhibit entity declarations -->
> <exhibits>
> &template;
> </exhibits>
>
> exhibits.dtd pulls in parts from an exhibit.dtd. &template is declared in
> exhibits.dtd and represents many individual files describing images.
>
> Seeing text output claiming validity is not as satisfying as seeing all
> the documents pulled together and displayed in a browser. This will
> primarily be a web application front end so I imagine I will go through an
> XSL process eventually. But in the meantime, are there any browsers or
> projects that display external entities as I am using them.
>
> Also, I am using the html namespace to force the display of the gifs,
> pngs, etc. (which works as long as there are no external entities imported
> into the document) Is there a better way? Thanks for any help.

Well ****, I checked this out at a windows machine from work and I'll be
damned if IE doesn't do exactly as I want. Sucks because I use Linux but
nonetheless credit due to Microsoft on this one.

So the question now is, does anyone know of any linux solutions to this
problem?

Henri Sivonen

In article <_I3fe.2577$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Shawn Modersohn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So the question now is, does anyone know of any linux solutions to this
> problem?

Moving the processing (XML parsing & XSLT) to the server and sending the
HTML output to the browser.

--
Henri Sivonen
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/

Shawn Modersohn

"Henri Sivonen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <_I3fe.2577$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Shawn Modersohn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> So the question now is, does anyone know of any linux solutions to this
>> problem?

> Moving the processing (XML parsing & XSLT) to the server and sending the
> HTML output to the browser.
>
> --
> Henri Sivonen
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/

I haven't got quite that far, I was hoping for more of a client side
solution. Might as well forge ahead though. Thanks.