Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Simplified Docbook as XML schema?

Simplified Docbook as XML schema?

Stephan Kurpjuweit

Hi!

I am looking for a simplified Docbook XML schema. As far as I know,
"Simplified Docbook" only exists as DTD, right? Could you please send me
pointers or ideas that might be useful for me?

Thank you!
Stephan

Martin Honnen

Stephan Kurpjuweit wrote:

> I am looking for a simplified Docbook XML schema. As far as I know,
> "Simplified Docbook" only exists as DTD, right? Could you please send me
> pointers or ideas that might be useful for me?

I think there is software around that can convert a DTD to a W3C XML
schema, you might want to google for that.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

Stephan Kurpjuweit wrote:

> I am looking for a simplified Docbook XML schema. As far as I know,
> "Simplified Docbook" only exists as DTD, right? Could you please send me
> pointers or ideas that might be useful for me?

You could generate your own "simplified DocBook schema.
Take DocBook files that are important to you and use
a script that analyses their content. This program then
produces a Schema file, describing all elements found.
I have written such a script myself, but my script
produces a DTD, not a Schema.

s. caillibotte

Stephan Kurpjuweit wrote:

> I am looking for a simplified Docbook XML schema. As far as I know,
> "Simplified Docbook" only exists as DTD, right?

With latest release of Docbook NG (relax NG support for Docbook, new
version 5), Norman Walsh also provided Simplified Docbook NG

http://norman.walsh.name/2005/04/12/kahlua
http://docbook.org/docbook-ng/simple/kahlua/

You can download grammar in two flavours rng (xml syntax) and rnc
(compact syntax). With that you obtain a richer grammar than DTD, and
even more than what an XML schema may provide.

> Could you please send me
> pointers or ideas that might be useful for me?

If you really need w3c xml schema you can convert existing grammar in a
dtd using trang http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang-manual.html

Sylvain